Minion Method Question

Shane B

Hi all,

New 14.5" owner here with a question about the minion method. I was wondering if it would work to put briquettes outside of the charcoal ring, just as a way to get more fuel in there? I'm not sure if this would mess up the air flow too badly though. I've been having trouble getting the two pork butts i've tried up to the 190-205 range, and i'm thinking having the additional fuel would help keep my temp in the 275-300 range during the winter.

Thanks for the help!

Shane, I use the “Sidewinder” method and have been very happy with the result.
Basically it is building the fire a little “offset” (banked opposite from the ignition side) with excellent results. I have gotten even more simple and just build the fire, including more smoke wood, with the blowtorch ignition at the “door side” and make things are firing up and then button things up. Then you have to have a few hits followed by a few failures and you will start to develop a bit of a feel.

Hopefully you are running without water in the pan?

I have been running with water in the pan which I know is part of the reason for the temp issue, altho i have been boiling it before i add it to the pan

I was thinking about switching to just using sand in there though, do you think that's a better idea for winter temps?

I have been running with water in the pan which I know is part of the reason for the temp issue, altho i have been boiling it before i add it to the pan

I was thinking about switching to just using sand in there though, do you think that's a better idea for winter temps?

I don't see much reason for sand at all. When I don't use water, I just put foil on the pan to catch drips and make cleanup easier.

Do a test; dump half a chimney of lit coals in there with no water and all vents set at around 25% open and see where your temp settles. That will give you a pretty good idea.

No heat sink is required ( or needed) when shooting for 275-300.
Just use the empty foiled (with an airspace) water pan.

OBTW, welcome to the board Shane.! I grew up on the south side ( Back of the yards.)

Tim

Back