PitDroid not connecting. it was a few days ago

Dusty Hicks

Any advice? I just built my HM 4.3 a few days ago. When i initially finished it, PitDroid worked great with all the probes in and they immediately showed up on the app as I plugged them into the HM. But i had fan issues and I ended up having to replace Q1 with a new BS170. Afterwords the fan worked great but now i notice that i can't connect to the PitDroid app. Everything else works though on the web-based stuff. I can connect to the IP address and watch the cook from there and also the HM is registered under the heatermeter.com/devices and shows up there

I'm wondering if this is something that I did wrong and need to fix, or does this sound more like a bug with the app and i need to wait for a patch? Thanks

First thing that immediately comes to mind is to make sure your phone is connected to your WiFi network, and connecting to the right address.

Yea, i forgot to mention that. I made sure to be on the same exact network at the R-Pi. I also made sure to use the same IP address in the PitDroid app that i am successfully monitoring from my computer. Lastly, I also put in the admin password. Even after all 3 of those things, The app still wont connect

Come to think of it..... I haven't used it since I replaced my phone (jumped 3 major versions of Android.) Have to fire the HM and check now.

How do you guys check up on your HM from your phone when you're away from home? Do you just log into the IP address from google search bar and just use the non-mobile version of the site?

How do you guys check up on your HM from your phone when you're away from home? Do you just log into the IP address from google search bar and just use the non-mobile version of the site?

As a general rule, that doesn't work. If you've got a decent firewall protecting your house network, the firewall will be a Network Address Translating device and your house network will be an IP network that will never be seen on the public Internet (RFC1918 test network.) To get this to work, you'll need to configure a port forward in your firewall/router.

Alternatively, Bryan has a facility that'll let you connect back through (heatermeter.com, IIRC.) Personally, I don't use this facility (no offense intended towards Bryan!) but should be easier to use if you're not an IP Jedi.

You open port in router, and connect to it .
Fortunately, My ip (att) never changes. If yours does, you need ddns.

I always connect this way , even at home. I have one bookmark, and connect to it home or away. At home i use a tablet on wifi for duration of cook. But to do so must connect via a vpn. You generally cant connect to your own external ip, from behind your router. Using vpn permits this. Otherwise connecting via cellular works too, but occupies phone

Last edited:
Come to think of it..... I haven't used it since I replaced my phone (jumped 3 major versions of Android.) Have to fire the HM and check now.

FWIW, I just fired up my HM and PitDroid on my 2 month old Moto G7 Power connected right up.

Back