My Latest Endeavor

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
I just wanted to share this with you guys. For almost the past year while I have been kind of laid up and not able to smoke/grill much I enrolled on a program through the Kentucky Distillers Association to get my certification as an Executive Bourbon Steward. One of the requirements was to conduct a tasting with some of the leading distillers in Kentucky. I conducted my tasting with a panel of six distillers one of whom was Chris Morris, the master distiller from Woodford Reserve (no pressure there). I am thrilled to share that I successfully completed the written exams and the tasting which also included a fairly exhaustive Q&A and have received my certification.

Sounds like fun, Congrats!
I was watching a show on Netflix last night called "Scotch"
Pretty interesting, and one thing I didn't know is that they only use old American oak bourbon barrels. To them the European oak has different flavors which they don't like.

Tim

Pal, we have GOT to get together!
The next thing you are going to tell me is that you are a Bluegrass musician!
Getting a Bourbon Stewardship, classes from Jacques Pepin, sense of humor, appreciation of grilling and smoking!
You’re the total package!

Pal, we have GOT to get together!
The next thing you are going to tell me is that you are a Bluegrass musician!
Getting a Bourbon Stewardship, classes from Jacques Pepin, sense of humor, appreciation of grilling and smoking!
You’re the total package!

Unfortunately while I love Bluegrass, I especially like Ricky Skaggs and of course Bill Monroe, I possess no musical capability whatsoever although my singing has been known to turn milk sour.

Unfortunately while I love Bluegrass, I especially like Ricky Skaggs and of course Bill Monroe, I possess no musical capability whatsoever although my singing has been known to turn milk sour.

Well, the appreciation carries some weight with me buddy!
I’ve been trying to be a mandolin player for over 40 years but, only gaining a little ground on being proficient.

Well, the appreciation carries some weight with me buddy!
I’ve been trying to be a mandolin player for over 40 years but, only gaining a little ground on being proficient.

Many years ago we went to the Grand Ole Opry. Rick Skaggs hosted one of the portions and Vince Gill was a guest. Those boys brought the house down. What incredible musicians.

I saw Ricky Skaggs and Keith Whitley when they were with Ralph Stanley back in 1976(?) I will never forget that! I’ve been lucky and I’d seen almost all of the first generation pickers before they passed.
One year I took my kettle and did a batch of turkey drumsticks, people were walking by watching me cook and going back to their cornbread and beans shaking their heads but, the following year there were no less than ten Weber’s in use!
It was funny to see some of the rest of the fun things we pulled off people stopping to see what was smelling so good!
Those were the days!

JR, we simply have got to meet! If I can find some of my old pictures I will have to share them with you over some well chosen Bourbon, a gallantine of capon, and who knows what else. Maybe a little pommesau gratin done with brunoise of russet, good gruyere, and Cream! Or maybe Lamb!! And a nice Cabernet!
I have not done the brunoise potatoes in years but, they make a lovely individual serving in a cocotte or (for the grill), cast iron ovals.

Last edited:
JR, we simply have got to meet! If I can find some of my old pictures I will have to share them with you over some well chosen Bourbon, a gallantine of capon, and who knows what else. Maybe a little pommesau gratin done with brunoise of russet, good gruyere, and Cream! Or maybe Lamb!! And a nice Cabernet!
I have not done the brunoise potatoes in years but, they make a lovely individual serving in a cocotte or (for the grill), cast iron ovals.

It’s been forever since I had much less done a gallatine. We’ve definitely got to connect.

Three inches of sloppy snow today, I am not planning on anything much more that a couple of days in advance until spring but, pal, we have way too many shared interests! We Will meet soon but, not soon enough!
Any interest in Larry Sparks? Lots of stories there.
Wendy Miller was his mandolin player and befriended a 16 year old me instilling an affectation for the music which has made me a forever Bluegrass apostle!
J.D. Crowe, all the Lexington guys really are the best! BG fans can be rabid about their “musical Idols” as a mandolin player, it’s Lexington driven style for me in many ways. You know what I mean?!

I don’t try to drink ALL of it but, I seem to try to drink all I have available, most of the time.
I have wanted to cruise the Bourbon trail for a long time! Great, now I have someone “down the line” to visit with, talk food music and liquor!

Back