9891 Rotisserie

Richard in NS

TVWBB Wizard
Has anyone used a 9891 rotisserie like this and did you like it? I got it for $15 Canadian so could not pass it up. The motor is worth way more than that.
XTVEbnE.jpg

CKxgOlj.jpg

uY8Fe4n.jpg

$15 is a great price. However, I prefer the straight spit. It's a lot easier to clean. You will see what I mean after your first cook.

Slainte!

Tim

Yes I have that same one and don't use it, I also prefer a straight split. Also make sure you get those knobs really tight (I use a pair of pliers) More than once I had them come loose and dump my chicken into the coals. I agree it's a lot harder to clean than a straight split.
But what you paid for it was worth it.

This one works well for smaller birds since you don't have to worry about tying up legs and wings as you have to on the straight spit rotisserie. But harder to clean as already mentioned.

That is funny. I am collecting rotisseries because people don't want them. Tried to include them with a flip several times and always get asked to sell the grill at a lower price without them.

I have both the #9891 basket roto and the #9890 straight roto. I very much prefer the 9890 for the reasons given above. Plus the fact that the 9891 does not have a balance which makes it hard to get the meat centered enough to keep the roto from buffeting during the cook. It is tough to clean up as well. Chickens seem to be the best use for them.

If you plan to do a lot of roto cooking, I suggest you find a #9890, but if not, then the #9891 is a fine rotisserie.

KbpB2RD.jpg

Last edited:
I sold one of those to a guy out west that really wanted that design. I prefer the straight rod style for exactly the reasons listed above too. This weekend will be the test run on the gasser rotisserie Bruce.

The nice thing is you don't have the rod conducting heat inside the food you're cooking.

Let us know how it works out Tim. I have a 12 lb turkey in the freezer, ready to go on Thanksgiving.

I have an 18 pounder awaiting the same fate! I will do that on the kettle (basic indirect method) so I can give it a bacon quilt and not have it fall off and make a terrible mess with a possible Chernobyl fate! I’m looking at new sides which might just go on the gasser that day, only time will tell what those choices might be but, a corn casserole might just be a sure thing along with a sweet potato casserole. Bacorn is in the running for sure!

The other thing I like about the straight spit is that you have to truss the meat. I feel like with the basket style, that gets overlooked or skipped. Trussing a chicken, for example, helps it cook evenly even the wings and drumsticks. I'm not the world's best, but it is yet another skill to add to your toolbox. Kind of like the charcoal grill I picked up a few weeks ago :) It sure is nice, when you have no really set schedule for a meal, to cook really really slow and low on charcoal!

Trussing a bird for the rotisserie is pretty quick really, tie a loop around the wing end to keep them tight then go straight down to the the legs and tie off to one, turn on the spit and let it draw the legs up then, tie them off.
There are dozens of ways to truss off a bird, that’s just one that works pretty well for me.

Or just leave it in the shrink wrap it comes in. It will hold in the juices and eventually melt off as the bird cooks leaving you with some nice crispy skin.
t0sG1c6.jpg

Bruce, you slay me! I wish I was going to have more time visiting in Wisconsin, I’d come by your place too! I don’t think I can work in more than a visit with Jim and the “Pigvillion” next week.

Thanks everyone for the advice/ tips on the 9891. I actually have a straight spit rotisserie from One Grill but i needed another mounting bracket and this complete 9091 was cheaper on Kijiji than the bracket on Amazon. I will give it a try but from your comments I will probably stick with the straight spit. The manual even shows doing ribs in it which might be different.

Richard.

Back