Spatchcock Turkey on 22 WSM? How Big?

BradyB

TVWBB Member
Well, it's that time of year again. I don't post much, but browse often. I saw some threads on how big of a spatchcocked turkey could fit on the 18 model, but not anything on how big of a spatchcocked turkey could fit on the 22 model. In the past I have usually done a pretty big turkey the normal way on my 22, but wanted to try spatchcocking it this year. Has anyone done this with a turkey on the 22? How did it turn out? How big of a turkey do you think would fit doing it that way? I also might try a buttermilk brine this year instead of the traditional brine.

I gotta imagine you could fit a pretty big turkey on a 22 even spatchcocked. I prefer smaller birds though. ON a 22 kettle you have to allow for some room for the coals to not be under the bird. On a WSM this doesn't matter. So you could fit an even bigger one. I realize this is no help.

Haha yeah. I can't remember how big of one I have done in past years. I think around 18lbs. I have also done 2 smaller ones in the past (whole), but was thinking about spatchcocking just one bigger one this year. It is supposed to cook more evenly this way, right?

For some reason, I’ve never done one spatched! This year might be the year it can still have its bacon quilt and be done in less time! My wife just got me a “Meater” for Christmas maybe it will be an early present!
I might just have to try doing a full on galantine and get all the bones out of the way!
Hmmm.....

Awesome. Sounds like it should fit with no problem. Doing it this way also cuts the cooking time down right? What would a time estimate be and what temp? 300?

Back