Ok to use Cider instead of Apple Jiuce for SYD?

Musky-Hunter

TVWBB Member
I am out of apple juice but I have some fresh cider. Has anyone made SYD Butts with cider? How was it? Should I just go buy apple juice? Thanks.

Hi, to be honest, I don't know if it is ok, but we do it all the time. The apple taste is still there. What is SYD butts?

Last edited:
Thanks, I guess it would depend on how thick or thin your cider is if you are going to inject it. You could always strain it. Cider is suppose to be a little more tart than juice.

You might have trouble injecting the cider because it will have pulp. The pulp could clog up your injector.

Strain it if it has pulp, some ciders are filtered, but not pasteurized like apple juice.
Better than using juice, in my opinion.

I used cider on ribs a couple of weeks ago. Mixed it with a little cider vinegar and it went through the spray bottle fine.

Jeff

Well...I just realized this morning at 6AM, as I placed my Boston butt on the smoker, that my wife had drank the last of my apple juice.

So today we are using 50/50 mix of Apple Cider vinegar and water for the spritz. Should be interesting!

Well...I just realized this morning at 6AM, as I placed my Boston butt on the smoker, that my wife had drank the last of my apple juice.

So today we are using 50/50 mix of Apple Cider vinegar and water for the spritz. Should be interesting!

Done that many times. You'll be good -- there is no "vinegary" effect on the taste. In fact, apple cider vinegar seems to take any bitterness out of the bark.

Jeff

Did you all see this recipe I posted on the pork thread? It was very good.

Carolina Vinegar Sauce

3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
4 tsp. packed dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
1 1/2 tsp. hot sauce, such as Tabasco
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
3/4 tsp. dry mustard
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 tsp. kosher salt

In a medium bowl, whisk together all the sauce ingredients until the sugar and salt dissolve. Use for pulled pork. Makes about 1 cup

Source: "Weber's Ultimate Grilling" Jamie Purviance pub.2019

Back