New User. Adapt-a-damper: Fan speed is constant no matter the setting

Dusty Hicks

Hi, New user here and getting things set up for the first time. HM 4.3 with RPi 3B+. I bought the Adapt-a-damper kit.

I was able to get the damper to work where it opens the same percentage as what is set on the controller. However, the issue I'm having is that the fan speed is completely constant - all the time. I plug the machine in, the fan is going at "X" speed. On the controller, I change the fan speed to 0%, but the fan is still going at that original speed X. If i bump the percentage on the controller up to 100%, same thing. If i make the pit probe set point for the controller lower than the ambient temperature in the room, the fan is still going at that same speed (you'd figure the fan would shut off when the temperature on the pit probe is higher than the set point) . Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? Im out of ideas, ive been fiddling with it for over an hour trying to figure it out. I can post a photo or two of the wiring i have of where the fan wires connect to the Ethernet jack if anyone thinks its necessary.

Thanks

Edit: I finally found some other posts on this site, and it seems this is a common issue. I'm going to check Q1 voltages and see if maybe the Q1 got damaged and I'll report back

Edit 2: I put the blower in pulse mode for testing, set blower to Min=0 Max=100 Startup Max=100. The blower still goes the same speed at all percentages 0-100%.

Edit 3: I'm trying to determine the voltages, but i'm realizing i'm not sure where to put the leads of my multimeter to find the voltages on Q1. If you're wanting to find the voltages for each of the three pins on Q1, where do the leads go? I'm mostly confused about where i put the black/ground lead...

Last edited:
Edit 3: I'm trying to determine the voltages, but i'm realizing i'm not sure where to put the leads of my multimeter to find the voltages on Q1. If you're wanting to find the voltages for each of the three pins on Q1, where do the leads go? I'm mostly confused about where i put the black/ground lead...
For testing the black lead always goes to GND, really anywhere on the board that is labeled GND will work. I like to use the giant one on the power input since the probe tip really can settle in and I don't have to worry about it slipping off. Then use the red lead on the multimeter to check each pin on Q1 to compare with what it is supposed to be.

As you've found, this is the most common build issue, so there's a bunch of posts on troubleshooting it. I should have made a wiki page with all the information by now too :(

Back