Bachelor Night Pork Chop

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
My wife is out of town on business (I just heard what she had for dinner in New Orleans, so there's no need to feel sorry for her!), and my daughter was at a friend's house getting her group project done for school. So, what's a guy to do? Well, I was at the butcher picking up a marrow bone (that's your fault BrianCal), and I knew I needed to eat, so had him whack off a double-cut pork chop (Kurobota hog) while he had the bone saw turned on. I had a couple of things to wrap up for work when I got to the house, so I got the sous vide going at 137F, and dropped the chop in to relax at the spa for a while. About an hour and a half later, I pulled the chop, seasoned it up (salt and Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express), then got to searing it on my Q-220. 2 minutes per side, with a 90 degree turn at the minute mark for cross-hatch, then rolled on the sides to crisp up the fat. I plated it up with my current favorite rice (basmati), and some steamed broccoli. The cocktail is a gin and tonic using my favorite gin (that my dad introduced me to many years ago.) Wow! What a great pork chop. Grocery stores should be required to use a different name for whatever it is they have in the meat case.......THIS was a chop!!!! A few pics.....

In all its glory as it came from my butcher's hands:

49022245767_bf61a5578c_z.jpg

Looking rather unappealing as it came out of the spa:

49021484138_c7ecfc7335_z.jpg

After it's high-heat treatment, and plated up:

49022005366_f3dde30ac8_z.jpg

Fork-full number 2:

49022005401_1d4759298a_z.jpg

A bit of an indulgent dinner for a Tuesday night, but all things considered, it was really easy to put together. I'm in a bit of a pork fat and gin induced coma right now, but you can bet I'm smiling! :)

Cheers, folks!

Rich

YUMM! Since the wife wont eat pork, I try and and have it when I'm baching it too! Looks great and I like the SV and sear approach for that thick cut.

Rich, if I was your wife, I would be crying now knowing what a great pork chop I missed out on. lol Yes, now THAT is what I have been talking about lately. All these darn lean pigs they are raising. It may be healthier, but not as tasty. Thank you for giving me hope. lol

Great looking chop Rich, I'm sure it was tasty.

Indeed it was, Rich! :)

YUMM! Since the wife wont eat pork, I try and and have it when I'm baching it too! Looks great and I like the SV and sear approach for that thick cut.

Yeah, either SV or reverse sear for that monster. SV was just easier to get started and ignore until I was ready for it. :)

Rich, if I was your wife, I would be crying now knowing what a great pork chop I missed out on. lol Yes, now THAT is what I have been talking about lately. All these darn lean pigs they are raising. It may be healthier, but not as tasty. Thank you for giving me hope. lol

I'm with you, Joan! The fat on this critter was so flavorful, and the meat incredibly tender. Not an every night pork chop, but nice for an occasional treat. Oh, and my wife was dining on oysters, crawfish, jumbalaya and beignets (guess where she is?) :)

R

Easy one lol, but as much as I love seafood, I would rather have that pork chop.

Looks terrific Rich. Must be nice having a quality butcher shop so close by.

Simply outstanding! What a beautiful cut from your butcher. The end result speaks for itself.

I am spoiled having a butcher close by (Gambrel's in Redwood City for those who are local to me.) Brings in whole animals (pig/lamb) and sides to break down in the shop. Will cut anything you want, and can get ahold of any specialty items you need. He ain't cheap, but there's not much that is around here these days!

R

Wow, everything about that looks great, good thing I got you to the butcher ��
Perfectly paired with a g&t too.
Cant wait to hear about your adventures with the bone marrow

Wonderful looking chop Rich. It may in fact be a bit indulgent for a weeknight meal but we’re grown ups, we can indulge all we want.

Wow, everything about that looks great, good thing I got you to the butcher ��
Perfectly paired with a g&t too.
Cant wait to hear about your adventures with the bone marrow

If you are a gin drinker, I highly recommend finding a bottle of Boomsma Jonge Genever. My absolute favorite (and it was my dad's), which I often drink neat (and cold, as I keep the bottle in the freezer.

Wonderful looking chop Rich. It may in fact be a bit indulgent for a weeknight meal but we’re grown ups, we can indulge all we want.

Amen to that! :) I indulged again last night.....working on that post. ;)

If you are a gin drinker, I highly recommend finding a bottle of Boomsma Jonge Genever. My absolute favorite (and it was my dad's), which I often drink neat (and cold, as I keep the bottle in the freezer.]

I will definitely try it. My favorite is Smugglers Notch Hopped Gin, really clean drinking with some extra aromatics. Only gin I drink straight, but makes a killer martini too. ��

That..... is a righteous looking chop.

I've known about genever for years, and actually found it on the shelf at one of the local brewpubs (Barley John's in New Brighton, MN, *HIGHLY* recommended.) After sampling it neat, I am definitely getting a bottle for the bar. I have a feeling that the Boomsma brand will be just a bit better than the Bols I sampled. Thanks for the recommendation. Hrrrm..... Surdyk's has it, but that's way downtown Minneapolis. TIme for some diggin'.

Back