Bombay Chicken Wings

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
DH made these last week. The recipe calls for them to be baked in the oven. I am going to post recipe as written, but I will tell you now, DH grilled them, and they were delicious!!!!!!!

Bombay Chicken Wings

1 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
5 1/2 lbs. chicken wings (about 30)
1 1/2 TB minced fresh ginger
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 TB. ground coriander
1 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. plus 1/8 tsp. paprika
Coarse kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1/3 cup plus 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
About 1/4 cup peanut or corn oil, for basting
2 TB. unsalted butter

1. In a small dry skillet, toast the cumin seeds over moderate heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer the seeds to a spice grinder or mortar and grind them.
2. Cut off the wing tips from the chicken wings (to me, the best part of the wing, DH leaves them on) and reserve for stock. Using a thin skewer, deeply pierce the wings all over.
3. In a large bowl, combine the ginger, garlic, coriander, ground cumin, 1 tsp. of the cayenne, 1/4 tsp. of the paprika, 1 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Stir in the yogurt and 1/3 cup of the lemon juice. Add the wings to the bowl and stir to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours, turning the wings occasionally. Let the wings stand at room temperature for 1 hour before proceeding.
4. Preheat the oven to 450F. Lightly oil a large wire rack and set it over a large roasting pan. Remove the wings from the marinade and place them on the rack without touching. Reserve the marinade.
5. Using a pastry brush, dab the wings lightly with the peanut oil and roast them for 15 minutes. Turn them over, baste with the reserved marinade and dab lightly with more oil. Roast for about 20 minutes longer, or until cooked through. Transfer the wings to a warmed serving platter.
6. In a small nonreactive saucepan, melt the butter with the remaining 1/4 tsp. cayenne and 1/8 tsp. paprika. Stir in the remaining 1 tsp. lemon juice and a pinch of coarse salt and cook over moderately high heat until hot. Brush the spicy butter over the roasted chicken wings and serve.

Source: Food & Wine mag. May 1993

How did I miss bumping this recipe up? It was very good and going in the "Make Soon" folder. (if there is any room-lol)

Just read the lead in to the recipe. It says, (I hope it's true) "Bombay wings are easier to make and LESS FATTENING than Buffalo wings."

Last edited:

Back