Steak Time!

Marty Owens

TVWBB Fan
Searing a couple rib-eyes while twice baked potatoes cook indirect.

-----

Steaks coming to internal temp while the twice baked potatoes wait impatiently…

-----

MMmmm… seasoned and cooked to our preference!

Thanks for looking!

Yep just about the doneness I go for on ribeye/chuckeye and other cuts that have a little more fat and connective tissue. Longer cook to a higher internal than say tenderloin

Did you do a standard sear, or a reverse sear on those? They look nicely done. I'm doing 4 about that thick on Saturday and can't decide which way to go.

Jeff

Those Ribeyes look great! Have you ever tried Chuckeyes?
I have many times, love chuck eyes!

Did you do a standard sear, or a reverse sear on those? They look nicely done. I'm doing 4 about that thick on Saturday and can't decide which way to go.
Jeff
Sear first and brought to internal temp slowly. Reverse sear is good but it is much easier to bring to the right internal temp slowly for me.

Looks like grillgrate over your Vortex?
Yes, GrillGrates over the Vortex.

Chuckeyes? Why?

Those Ribeyes look great! Have you ever tried Chuckeyes?

I understand a possible allure for checkeyes at, what, $6 / lb. But why? My local grocer sells Choice, and often Prime, strip steaks at $16 / lb. Skimp on a few servings of a tough cut of beef, and buy a good cut. Try a good Choice or Prime cut and experience the difference. It's well worth it.

I understand a possible allure for checkeyes at, what, $6 / lb. But why? My local grocer sells Choice, and often Prime, strip steaks at $16 / lb. Skimp on a few servings of a tough cut of beef, and buy a good cut. Try a good Choice or Prime cut and experience the difference. It's well worth it.
I think you're confusing chuck eye steaks for ordinary chuck steaks.
Chuck eyes are more tender than your strip steaks.

Last edited:

rwTO3-3LEbmEXuKNtM5senrhMMxDHiCcRz--P7hsIt1QeOU4RMzAEdRU4xMZjQq0Uj_HT_WE2l8sZ2erESSpZlUjCbV4uvhJMnH2hfx5FX0mB3qSU8Y41UYTLEmZDFqJOuCBWhPvhI9-4n2NYh6pLg7bQ0o51UwSip6go-8JQ0nZs3NlZhgxn0dS_AhxXEa6mUVkcLLfHbfiMJdmAqZZY31_60bSVYIkSbc38nh2WJfS0A9vZpXFH5Oqi4wLjZJSv0WD6xAwLTCUJ4LcQkUWfc09tsv7IST0OlWdYIDnRmHnGpXlGftXB0r7-IZOy5jdMsKxBagkMPdxQ4IzvogEkO7zzJH5jmPb_90dN1-B07iH3O9fMOoCOS0GswveP_55p43liJRF0srW9HCv2UJDXl9xnFuSFGfXt-29IqqdfhkIQpgi3_oNG-W1wsW9bYGbRZLLxkExCUsgE4FdnQB5XztKyBDWGX9kOLDGIqhZYZHmwH3UHRYWaspwHaIxuk4rSmbDmR3l05JCnbhgH2y_xZTEgXjigDVcUtTP6i5yXvPaMBOvafblzCzmyj9E3vBxDy8XkyYb9ixJBmyHDioGyZCQBn3UCo9BzN3CKaQgJCsry3hoAaQCyQ=w1344-h898-no

aFMtRjmys6ir1lXh_yzl02O-OkmtejhTBq9ucq5D2-nEjm0_5kEiKSgT5cKiREpZAqyk7ez2hKFEH5FF3D71PdXg9YeOkWA3ZGQFKE54B2e8r7XuW467MorHT3NmdnhvC9x9mW0vjqxzEl00PYaYFjJ2FKV56TjSQhJqO15iLVL0a4W-UDW0EEmbFbV9d0G86uwFTiTvRlIWQGSrenpY_2gm_L-eQE2Yy2mZqCl-0q3Tqsn01zdoNsGcrMVXNocczqBMpv9prlEqEtpH0PM86ys7g2yDoNXOSrVnBDaRHofXxVfejf46J6IkntjxnAnmD7-o1wqMwzhG8d80IsiCUXCUG9X8nOdlNBnEVS79WfqTDGXrvw3C7XWBUEC9DJhnTXqcAjIzdzg37e5EJ1R4DSqjB9jyiuanONBxaMdpXpFGYkIyplWWKHLQ7IDS9UxBLvIlxib-VlUGJEO05C2zp6mj9pSM7TotUYQ264n3xYNSe59OMUwXHK-3CQCtWkYFcizU4ExTC8iZ3dlTAqte4z2GJQ8NE0SeoN4i5jYSdxfrMrmOrJ_qR-sQcIz4qTOu6WWF9QO7o7U_xQ45e-6KB7bGhInjlgX5G30jK6Boj1_LiuYb7Zzx2A=w1344-h898-no
not seeing your photos Bob

not seeing your photos Bob
Thanks for letting me know Jim.
Pulled it from an old post, not sure what's up with that. I've replaced it with another pic via Flickr.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Marty.
Your steaks look spectacular!

Last edited:
Beautiful Steak Time cook Marty.

I used your Vortex / GrillGrates sear idea on the26R again last weekend.
I'm with you, I also like to sear my steak's first, then move them to the indirect side of the grill and let them slowly come up to 124°.

PS. Bob
I can see your Chuck Eye steak pictures, never had one. Would love to try one but they don't sell them around here.

Chuckeyes? Why?

Like what you like, if you are driven by price, fine. -- but I believe there is a world of difference between the strip and the chuck eye. From Fine Cooking

Strip
Top loin steak
Boneless:
strip steak, Kansas City
steak, New York strip
steak, ambassador steak,
veiny steak, hotel steak,
boneless club, and more
Bone-in:
New York strip loin, shell
steak, strip steak, club
steak, club sirloin steak,
Delmonico steak
Think of these popular steaks as
a T-bone or porterhouse with the
tenderloin section removed,
leaving you with the very tender
and juicy top loin muscle. May be
bone-in or boneless (shown).
Look for ample marbling. Ideal
thickness is 11/2 inches, giving you
a 3/4- to 1-lb. steak serving 2 to 3.

Chuck-eye
steak
boneless chuck fillet steak,
boneless steak, bottom
chuck, center-cut chuck
steak
This boneless steak, found under
the steer’s back bone closest to
the rib section, has good beefy
flavor and is relatively tender,
though it may also have a fair
amount of fat and gristle. Steaks
can weigh from 11/4 to 21/2 lb. and
serve 2 to 4

I'll go with "very tender
and juicy" against "relatively tender,
though it may also have a fair
amount of fat and gristle." Worth the price premium to me.

Jan, the strip and chuck eye are completely two different cuts of beef.
trying to compare them is a waste of time.

no similarities whatsoever.
you either prefer one or the other.

I'm not disrespecting your choice of steak, Jan. You said it's a tough cut, and it simply is not tough.
It's super tender and very tasty, that's why I buy them.
The strip steak is a fine steak, but I've never had one as tender as a chuck eye, and I've had both Choice and Prime.
I'm certainly not driven by price, Prime ribeye caps are another favorite, and far from being cheap.
Grilling some Prime filet mignons tomorrow, my wife's favorite.
Jim Lampe loves them too, here's one of his cooks, does it look tough?

IMG_7198.JPG

Back