Busy smoker weekend!

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Started off Saturday by cold smoking the bacon I posted in my thread Bacon Season Has Arrived

Then Sunday I decided to test out my new BBQ-Guru PartyQ and smoked a naked turkey breast.

Loaded the 14.5" WSM with Kingsford Pro and a couple hunks of apple wood. Used my little Camp Maid folding charcoal starter to fire up 5 briquettes. Set the PartyQ to 285°f and let the party begin. Took just under 8 minutes for the lit charcoal to be ready to dump into the fire basket. The PartyQ had the smoker up to 285°f in 15 minutes. I let the smoker run for another 15 minutes then added the turkey. Temp dropped 15 degrees as expected when adding cold meat to the a smoker. The temp ramped right back up to 285°f within 5 minutes. I left it to be monitoring both the turkey and pit temp with my Meater+ therm. Everything matched up nicely. Took 3 1/2 hours to hit 165°f. Wrapped the bird in foil then left to go meet some friends for our weekly trivia game we play at one of our food truck lots and tap house. Came back home a couple hours later and made a fantastic smoked turkey sandwee!!

Removed the skin and seasoned the bird with SPOG. Of course I boiled down the neck, skin for stock. Thinking I'll need gravy for a blue plate hot turkey sandwee.

49012192308_5b81b74b2f_c.jpg

Setting up for the minion method.

49012925392_edde7b6200_c.jpg

Five briquettes almost ready to join the unlit ones in the fire basket.

49012924142_144931475d_c.jpg

Lets do this!

49012187583_88753bea43_c.jpg

Here we go!

49012923227_63d65cf3be_c.jpg

Done!

49012715611_052bc6e4ee_c.jpg

YUMM!!!!

49012920867_44bec8a0e3_c.jpg

Toasted dill rye, mayo, Guldens, black pepper, tomato, spinach.

49012713596_3567b5e581_c.jpg

Enjoy!!!!!

Very nice, Case! Great looking turkey, and I will be ready for one of those sandwiches in about 4 hours! Getting in the T-day mood! :)

Rich

Very nice, Case! Great looking turkey, and I will be ready for one of those sandwiches in about 4 hours! Getting in the T-day mood! :)

Rich

Thanks Rich! It's a tasty bird! I'll be going home for lunch today and round two is on the menu!

Love turkey sammies and yours looks great Case. I've done TBs on the mini but my new method of spinning them I really prefer.

Yuuummmmm!!! I love turkey sandwiches, and that looks to be a good one.

I was just talking with my father yesterday; he asked me to make a smoked (grilled) turkey for our family dinner on Thanksgiving. I happily obliged, and of course will have to practice. :)

Turkey sandwiches coming soon!

Love turkey sammies and yours looks great Case. I've done TBs on the mini but my new method of spinning them I really prefer.

I almost hooked up the minitisserie top for this cook. I decided that I wanted to focus on the PartyQ though so I opted to not spin this one. Soon though!

Yuuummmmm!!! I love turkey sandwiches, and that looks to be a good one.

I was just talking with my father yesterday; he asked me to make a smoked (grilled) turkey for our family dinner on Thanksgiving. I happily obliged, and of course will have to practice. :)

Turkey sandwiches coming soon!

Practice is always good! We quit doing whole turkeys quite some time ago. If I do a whole bird it gets spatchcocked. For the last several years its been bone on breasts for the holidays. Usually one smoked and one oven roasted. Believe it or not we have several crazy people in our family that don't like smoked turkey!

Case, how do you like your Meater+? I've been thinking of getting one for the times when I use the rotisserie. The reviews are all over the place but apparently much better then the original Meater. Plus the range is quite a bit better than the original.

Case, how do you like your Meater+? I've been thinking of getting one for the times when I use the rotisserie. The reviews are all over the place but apparently much better then the original Meater. Plus the range is quite a bit better than the original.

Rich,

I like my Meater+. I've had no issues with it. You do need to place the wood base near the smoker when using it. Which can be an issue in crappy weather. I just put mine in a ziplock bag and it has been fine.

Since I have an iPad I use it to monitor the Meater+. It connects vie bluetooth and wifi. I can leave the house and log into the cloud and see whats going on by using the app on my phone. Yesterday I needed to go to the store so it was nice to be able to check in and see what the smoker was up to.

Connectivity wise I haven't had any major issues. Every once in a while it will drop the connection but usually connects right back up.

Rich,

I like my Meater+. I've had no issues with it. You do need to place the wood base near the smoker when using it. Which can be an issue in crappy weather. I just put mine in a ziplock bag and it has been fine.

Since I have an iPad I use it to monitor the Meater+. It connects vie bluetooth and wifi. I can leave the house and log into the cloud and see whats going on by using the app on my phone. Yesterday I needed to go to the store so it was nice to be able to check in and see what the smoker was up to.

Connectivity wise I haven't had any major issues. Every once in a while it will drop the connection but usually connects right back up.

Thanks Case, I'll see what the Finance / War Dept. has to say about it. :rolleyes:

I got thinking about turkey sandwiches yesterday...must have been on the same wavelength!
Nice work Case!

Thank you!

This time of year I seem to do a breast every couple of weeks. Cheap this time of year and we get multiple meals out of one.

Case, that turkey and sandwich looks fantastic. Nothing like turkey sammies on a cold day.

Back