<('@')> Bacon ´ö`

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
cured 12 lbs of belly about two weeks ago...
rinsed it all last thursday and let it airdry in the fridge until this morning....
heavily seasoned one slab with Penzey's California Pepper.

here are some photos

l3efGLW.jpg

k4mVK1s.jpg

T1ZKqnC.jpg

used both apple and hickory wood for heavy smoke.

GXCtG8j.jpg

iEFzjqL.jpg

xVV1KhU.jpg

smoked at an average temp of 220ºF inside the Weber charcoal Summit

IescFBC.jpg

took about 3 hours to reach an internal temp of 145ºF

wmNkke0.jpg

I try to slice it tomorrow... right now, it's freezing in the top portion of the fridge.
Of the 12 pounds, i'll probably keep 2 to 3 lbs for ourselves...
the rest will be distributed to friends and family (for favours done and traded for eggs, homemade Kielbasa).

Thank you for swinging by! <('@')>

Nothing like the gift of bacon to keep those favors coming, Jim! I'd do a favor or two for ya if it meant I got some of that in return (actually, I'd do you a favor anyway!) :)

R

Noting better than homemade bacon, yours looks great Jim. Barb and I do the same smoke up about 9-10 pounds and keep a couple pounds and share the rest with friends and relatives. Even gave some to my cardiologist... go figure.
Been using Penzeys California seasoned pepper for a couple of years now, love the stuff.

thank you Ed, John, Rich, Phil and Rich!
I did slice the slabs today...
here are a few photos.
Thank you all for your very kind comments, I do appreciate them all, humbly.

kudrnTb.jpg
ZDSvCcT.jpg

K2xtBav.jpg

eqqMGIY.jpg

K2xtBav

K2xtBav

K2xtBav

Last edited:
Beautiful bacon buddy! Looks like a bacon store at your house.
I also like the looks of your wood splits. DIY or purchased?

Jim, that looks delicious. Awesome job and I'm sure your family and friends will enjoy it.

Jim, I might be making a short visit to Milwaukee soon, you don’t need to mail mine. I’ll just pick them up!
seriously, let me know when you're around.... i'm only 1½ miles off the interstate (I-94) between Chicago and Milwaukee.
I'll have some for you.

They call long pieces of smoke wood splits, but it's usually much larger.

61r9BhpIPoL._SX425_.jpg

that's what I thought you meant, but mine are only small "splits", chopped off from larger hunks... and I don't buy wood unless it's not available in Wisconsin.

Jim, that looks delicious. Awesome job and I'm sure your family and friends will enjoy it.
Thank you Barb! By the way, we're coming back to Phoenix in March 2020 for BrewerBaseball… and I do not remember the name of the joint Rich told me about.... however, I think I do remember something about it closing for good. Do you remember the place he was talking about?

Back