Can you install the top gasket after the hinge kit?

Joel R

Hi,

If I install the hinge on the WSM 22 can I later add the gasket to seal around the lid I would put in on the top of the chamber not the lid itself.
Or it would not close right?

Thanks.

That's a really good question. I could see there being some issues. I wonder if the screw holes on the hinges give you enough play if you needed to adjust it slightly. I did the gasket but I've not done the hinge. My gasket has worn out over time though and leaks a little bit.

I opened the hinge after posting and
noticed that it have some play so I think if the gasket is added after it would self adjust due to the small play.

But just wanted to make sure that it would fit.

The screw hole seem to be about the same size as the screw so I think not much play there.

Well, the gasket isn't that expensive so it's probably worth taking a roll of the dice. I'd go with the self stick kind in this situation so you could rip it off it just didn't work out. I tried using a rope style gasket on my offset once and found out the hard way that my door would not close afterwards. Getting some gasket around the WSM door would probably be most helpful. I put the gasket on the door itself for a cleaner looking install.

Joel, I did the gasket before I did the hinge for that very reason. I currently have some play in the hinge with the gasket in place. I do not think you will have any problems. Go ahead and try it the worst thing you would have to do is maybe push on the lid a little bit when you close it to get it to seat but I doubt it. The seal will end up getting compacted anyhow after multiple uses and it will work great.

I installed the gasket strip after I had added the hinge to my 18.5". No problem at all. Works well.

Do insure the lip surface you glue the gasket to is very clean as the gasket will come loose over time. If it does just clean the area with brake clean and reattach. Simple really.

Back