The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping

Thread: Can you install the top gasket after the hinge kit?

Can you install the top gasket after the hinge kit?

Hi,

If I install the hinge on the WSM 22 can I later add the gasket to seal around the lid I would put in on the top of the chamber not the lid itself.
    Or it would not close right?

Thanks.

TVWBB Platinum Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    That's a really good question. I could see there being some issues. I wonder if the screw holes on the hinges give you enough play if you needed to adjust it slightly. I did the gasket but I've not done the hinge. My gasket has worn out over time though and leaks a little bit.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Slow N Sear 2.0, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

I opened the hinge after posting and
    noticed that it have some play so I think if the gasket is added after it would self adjust due to the small play.

But just wanted to make sure that it would fit.

The screw hole seem to be about the same size as the screw so I think not much play there.

TVWBB Platinum Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    Well, the gasket isn't that expensive so it's probably worth taking a roll of the dice. I'd go with the self stick kind in this situation so you could rip it off it just didn't work out. I tried using a rope style gasket on my offset once and found out the hard way that my door would not close afterwards. Getting some gasket around the WSM door would probably be most helpful. I put the gasket on the door itself for a cleaner looking install.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Slow N Sear 2.0, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2