Blackstone griddle, or Camp Chef Expedition 3x?

Tim K

TVWBB All-Star
I have decided that the next tool in the arsenal is going to either be a blackstone 28” griddle, or a Camp Chef Expedition 3X. I know A LOT of people bought the blackstone 17” a while back, but I’ve not heard anything about the 28” griddle or the Expedition 3X. This will be used at home, as well as for tailgating and camping. I love the blackstone, but also really like the flexibility the Expedition 3 offers, so any opinions, experience with either, or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tim

Hey, Tim, I just finished my maiden camping voyage with my 22" Blackstone, and it performed great! We did tacos the first night (mix of al pastor and chicken), and the Blackstone was the perfect platform to cook those up, warm the tortillas, etc. Sunday morning, we did 24 sausages, a dozen eggs, and then pancakes....again, worked great. I like being able to adjust the burners separately so that I can have areas of different temperatures. In fact, we discovered that after a good preheat, the griddle holds enough heat that we just turned one of the two burners off, and used that side as our holding area to finish up other components of the meal, while keeping everything hot and ready to serve.

My favorite feature of the Blackstone is the easy cleanup. Just heat the griddle up, and then use water to loosen up and remove any stuck on foods. Then, when dry, and still hot/warm, give it a thin coating of oil, and you're done. Honestly, some of the easiest camp cleanup that we've ever done.

My chief complaint about the Blackstone 22" is I'd like more room, and I don't really like the wastefulness of the small propane bottles. The 28" will solve the real estate problem, and I found that my local Sports Basement store is selling refillable compact propane bottles with FREE lifetime exchange (they are very environmentally friendly), so I'm going to pick up 2-4 of those which should pay me back after a year of good use. Oh, one other item......I haven't tried it yet, but my guess is that the BS is not going to be super efficient for boiling water (something that tends to happen a lot in camp.) I solve this problem by just bringing along one of my MSR backpack stoves, which is very small, easy to use, so not much of an issue to add it to the pack out list.

I have not used the Camp Chef cooking products (other than some of their cast iron), so no input for you there. I don't think you would be disappointed with the Blackstone, but, of course, you need to match up your cooking needs with the appliance.

HTH,
Rich

My chief complaint about the Blackstone 22" is I'd like more room, and I don't really like the wastefulness of the small propane bottles. The 28" will solve the real estate problem, and I found that my local Sports Basement store is selling refillable compact propane bottles with FREE lifetime exchange (they are very environmentally friendly), so I'm going to pick up 2-4 of those which should pay me back after a year of good use.

Hi Rich.
Have you sen the bulk tank adapter hose for the Blackstones? Not practical for walk-in camping obviously, but otherwise nice to use the griddle hooked to the big bottle.

Different animal and probably not what you are looking for but I just got a FireDisc and absolutely love it. More of a wok-like setup. Super portable and fun to cook on.

Hi Rich.
Have you sen the bulk tank adapter hose for the Blackstones? Not practical for walk-in camping obviously, but otherwise nice to use the griddle hooked to the big bottle.

I actually have one, Mike, but you're correct, not super useful for camping (especially if we're in a walk-in site.) I'll pick up a few of the refillables......lifetime refills seems like a no-brainer for me.

Hijack over, Tim! :)

R

I actually have one, Mike, but you're correct, not super useful for camping (especially if we're in a walk-in site.) I'll pick up a few of the refillables......lifetime refills seems like a no-brainer for me.

Hijack over, Tim! :)

R

Ha ha ha, no worries! This is how we learn and exactly the type of info I was looking for. I guess I’ll keep looking and maybe a good deal will come my way on Black Friday..thanks again for the help.
Tim

Back