Chili Brisket and a bird for Bob C

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Howdy, all. Hope you had a great Halloween! Since it was that time of year, that meant it was time for my annual batch of Halloween chili (I have NO idea why I only make this once a year!) Since my chili recipe calls for some diced, smoked brisket, that meant getting a brisket on the WSM22. Fortunately, my CostCo still seems to carry packers regularly (prime @ $3.99/lb), so I picked up a 17.5 pounder. After trimming it up, I dusted with Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust (didn't have enough Red Eye Express), and loaded it up on the WSM for a hot/fast brisket cook. Ran the grill at 300F, wrapped the brisket at 170F, and removed it to cool when it was about 202 and probing tender. I did a really horrible job getting any pictures, so there's really only one of the brisket.....

Brisket just before wrapping:

49002564057_7b6bd9ea20_z.jpg

My double batch of chili calls for 6 pounds of meat, which I fulfilled with a mix of ground beef (80/20), diced tri-tip, and diced, smoked brisket. It's a good Texas red, so no beans, and, in fact, no vegetables either (I think I've posted the recipe before somewhere......) Anyway, the chili turned out great (as evidenced by the pot that was scraped clean by 2/3 of the way through our party), and I considered myself lucky to have gotten a small bowl before it disappeared under the hordes! :)

On Halloween night, I was lucky enough to catch this guy having his dinner on my neighbor's tree house roof. I believe that it is a Harlan's Hawk light-morph, which is a type of red-tailed hawk (which we have aplenty around here.) Bob C, you may want to warn all your little birdies to steer clear of this guy! :)

49001786413_9793260093_z.jpg

Super looking brisket Rich, we'll have to take your word for the chili. :p

Neat hawk shot! We have plenty of red-tails fly over, but thankfully haven't seen any after my little guys.

Nice looking brisket Rich. I only do a brisket on smoke day, but I freeze the point for my winter chili. I used to compete in chili contests but haven't entered one for a long long time.
So now I put but all kinds of fun stuff in my as I call it winter chili, although I occasionally make a pot of true red.
Nice shot of the hawk, we have them all over the place here had one knock a dove out of the air right in front of me about a month ago , scared the crap out of me and the dog.

Nice looking brisket Rich, and that chili sounds delicious. Great picture of the hawk.

Back