Smoked Sirloin

RichPB (richlife)

TVWBB Wizard
Hey, all. I've been away from TVWBB quite a while, but will never forget my roots! I searched around here some for posts about smoking sirloin, but didn't find much. Some good comments about smoking tri-tip which is similar but larger. So I decided to head out on my own and document here to share the experience. I'll add some pics to this tread for the follow-up.

The sirloin I'm using is a really thick (2 1/2") cut from Costco -- i think the grade was Choice, but it's well marbled. I had read some years ago about the benefits of brining steak, so since my first grill of one of these steaks was a bit chewier than I like, I decided to try that. Perhaps unfortunately, I went on memory and brined overnight with 2 cups water, 2 tbs salt, 4 ounces of apple juice and about 2 tablespoons of freshly ground black pepper. THEN -- I looked up using brine on steak here. Saw various yes/nos including "corned beef", so maybe this post will be helpful for anyone interested.

After removing from the brine, I soaked in cold water for an hour to remove any excess salt from at least the outer part changing the water once. (This is BEFORE i read the comments here about brining beef -- just using my own judgement.) Then I slathered with whole kernal (stone ground) mustard and coated well with a modified rub from Smoking Meat. (This is Jeff's Rub. Not bad and since you get two "similar" rubs for the price, after many years of use, it's worth the hefty price -- if you use it. I usually use my own rub recipes, but keep a jar of Jeff's around.) In this case my modification was to add about 3 tablespoons of freshly ground black pepper to a half cup of his rub. My thoughts on all this black pepper is that the "standard" for Texas brisket rub is salt and pepper and I like peppered beef. (BTW, I won't give away Jeff's rub, but it's fairly heavy on paprika and brown sugar with very little salt. Also, other typical rub ingredients.)

Now I'm headed off on my own. Will wrap in bacon (as opposed to mopping), lightly coat with additional modified Jeff's rub and I plan to smoke at 250* until temp of 135-140 (expect 1 - 1 1/2 hours trying to get the full benefit of the smoke) and follow with a half hour covered rest (ala brisket). Then will 1/4" slice cross grain and serve with grilled (maybe smoked?) cauliflower and Romas. (For those who don't know, I have a heavily modified 18" Bullet and use Royal Oak Hardwood Lump Charcoal almost exclusively. This will be smoked with oak chunks from my woodworking shop.)

(Last comment, I'm not a fan of Smoking Meat forum after a getting a rude reception years back, but I am definitely a fan of Jeff's weekly newsletter. Second only for me to TVWBB as a smoking resource.)

I'll update with pics and results later today or tomorrow, but will watch this forum if anyone would like to comment. thanks

Back