Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bacon Season has arrived

TVWBB Platinum Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    I noticed my grocery store has started carrying pork belly, so I think it's catching on. I think I'm going to try it with that 6 lb belly I have in the freezer and do 3 lb sections with 2 different seasonings. I'm thinking I may just go with a fast 225 smoke. We'll see. I don't have a slicer, though so I need to figure that out. I don't really like my bacon too thick.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Slow N Sear 2.0, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Dorsey View Post
    I noticed my grocery store has started carrying pork belly, so I think it's catching on. I think I'm going to try it with that 6 lb belly I have in the freezer and do 3 lb sections with 2 different seasonings. I'm thinking I may just go with a fast 225 smoke. We'll see. I don't have a slicer, though so I need to figure that out. I don't really like my bacon too thick.
    225 is too hot
    You will reach 140 internal in 1.5-2 hrs or less , and have no smoke flavor to your bacon. Youll also melt all the fat on outside...it melts about 140. And bacon is mostly fat.
    You have to do it cooler and longer for good results.

Slicing is everything for bacon. It controls how evenly it cooks, how it crisps, all pieces cook same rate. Thin and uniform is a must, and you cannot get it by hand. You end up with under cooked and overcooked in same piece.....or half overcooked and hard/chewy.

Go ahead and try....youll be buying a craigslist slicer afterwards.. ...everybody starts there. No sense laying out $ till your hooked
    Last edited by MartinB; 11-11-2019 at 09:02 AM.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    I agree with Martin about the temp, if you want smoked, not cooked, bacon I'd try to keep the smoker at around 160 F.

I have a slicer, but like to keep the slabs whole and slice as needed with a long slicing knife.
    For frying, don't go above medium heat, and flip often.

TVWBB Super Fan
    One thing i havent seen discussed, is bellies vary from end to end. One 1/3 section, makes better bacon than the other two imo. The classic parallel alternating fat and meat layers. One part, likes to fall apart...fat runs between layers and its more meaty, like in bobs pic above. Different amounts of different muscles in each part.

When thickness is right...wavy...crispy . Bamboo tongs can squeeze middle up so ends dont go uncooked in small skillet. Lays down as shrinks

Last edited by MartinB; 11-11-2019 at 11:01 AM.

TVWBB Platinum Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
    225 is too hot
    You will reach 140 internal in 1.5-2 hrs or less , and have no smoke flavor to your bacon. Youll also melt all the fat on outside...it melts about 140. And bacon is mostly fat.
    You have to do it cooler and longer for good results.

Slicing is everything for bacon. It controls how evenly it cooks, how it crisps, all pieces cook same rate. Thin and uniform is a must, and you cannot get it by hand. You end up with under cooked and overcooked in same piece.....or half overcooked and hard/chewy.

Go ahead and try....youll be buying a craigslist slicer afterwards.. ...everybody starts there. No sense laying out $ till your hooked
    Warm smoking it is then. I buy into the fat rendering part of what you said. My thinking on the 225 was that more smoke is not always better and I'd get a cleaner smoke. I BADLY oversmoked some cheese a while back doing a low heat smoke so I'm a little gun-shy. I cook sausage at 225 all the time and the smoke is perfect (Although I'm not freezing it which will probably mellow the smoke). But 1.5 hrs to 2 hours is pretty short. I've done plenty of medium heat smokes on the WSM using the snake method and chunks so I'll probably just stick with that. I'm pretty good with a brisket slicing knife. I'm probably going to try that and then totally cave and buy the meat slicer. We'll see. Thanks for the advice, Martin and Bob. Sorry for slightly hijacking your post, Case. That bacon was just inspirational!
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Slow N Sear 2.0, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12