Grill Rescue Brush

T Lucas

Has any one bought one of these http://thegrillrescue.com Little pricey. Looks like the Grill Rescue brush might be made of fire hose or fire fighters clothing material.

With the paranoia on bristle brushes, I would like to search for safer alternatives. I've used a ball of foil and water to steam clean PE CI grates with pretty good results, followed with a wipe down with veg oil on a paper towel before grilling to pick up any stray material.

I'm considering an Alpha Grillers Grill Brush SS Bristle Free Brush w/scraper off of Amazon that also uses water to steam clean CI & SS grates.

Just curious what you all use since everything is dangerous these days. The black helicopter with "The Chicken Police" and Clorox bombs is always over my house when I'm cooking chicken. "Don't wash that chicken! Don't wash that chicken!" :mad:

I've seen it but don't have one; I'm not accustomed to using water to clean my grates but that's just a personal aversion. Unfortunately, I do agree with not using wire-bristled brushes and migrated to the Char-Broil nylon brush. It's not as effective but it's the next best option that I was able to adopt short of using a cleaner that does a single grate and I'm far too lazy for that approach.

I know some people really love and swear by CI grates, but I am a more nuts and bolts griller and would always choose a good set of SS solid rod grates over CI for a propane grill. Then, if you have the Chargon tool, cleaning them up is a snap and you don't have deal with bristles, aluminum foil, oil or any thing else. And, you don't have to deal with rust or the hassle to prevent rust.

I haven't really heard of a go to solution for regular cleaning CI grates without a wire brush other than the aluminum foil and steam.

Yeah, Bruce, I am one of those old-fashioned cast iron fans, but you are absolutely right about how much easier it is to used GOOD stainless rod grates and the Chargon. I have settled on a combination of the brush that has coils of stainless steel (not bristles) and the kind with the soft fiber mat. I pick up cheap ones of those at the Dollar Store and figure they are good for a few uses and then toss. I have not had any issues with the brush with the coiled stainless, and it works fairly well.

Here is one of many versions of the coil brush:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07MKRKW58/tvwb-20

For GrillGrates I find the wooden scraper to be perfect for the job along with help from the "valley brush" you can get from GrillGates. I probably should learn more patience with these on cast iron, but they don't adapt nearly as easily as they do to GrillGates.

For stainless rod, the wood would work fine, but like you I really appreciate the Chargon.

Tried the wood paddle on my stainless. Futile. I did find though that it works quite well on the Q 3XX grates. Go figure. So that is where one of them gets used the other is my pizza spatula :D I still find a good wire brush followed by a wipe down with water or oil soaked paper/cloth towel to be the best and basically only method I use.

That grill rescue brush looks interesting.

But I agree with Bruce. I only use round stainless grates and clean them with a chargon. It's very effective and totally safe.

I've been on the stainless grates / chargon cleaning tool train for about a year now too. For what it's worth.

The steam "brush" looks like it would clean cast iron the best. I just wonder about all the moisture left behind.

The steam "brush" looks like it would clean cast iron the best. I just wonder about all the moisture left behind.

This one looks interesting, but pricey:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07G3G4PXP/tvwb-20

Others I've looked at don't make steam, but rely instead on heat from the grill to vaporize the water.

Just turn the grill back on to get rid of any remaining moisture. I throw all my CI in the oven after washing.

I have a Grill Daddy water filled brush that worked great on our Cast Iron grates, but I haven't tried it on our SS grates yet. So far just used the chargon and a wire brush to get the grey residue off. I always run the grill on full tilt while enjoying the meal which pretty much incinerates anything on the grates. Still haven't tried out the set of Grill Grates I got last Christmas.

I saw these at Harbor Freight, $18.95 for all. Worked just fine cleaning the grill grate with a nice long handle on a few of them.
Just my 2 cents.

crmrDCe.jpg

If I had a HF that was closer than 50 miles to me, I probably would. They would be useful for working on my truck and wife's car as well. But, until then, inquiring minds want to know. I am hoping Jeff has some solid rod grates to try them on.

I have an appointment down at the VA hospital in Madison on the 19th. I may make a little side trip.

Back