Best setup for baking in Genesis Silver A?

Ed-B

I'd like to do some baking in my 2 burner Genesis Silver A gas grill. I've been reading about this online and understand that I want to have it operating as an indirect heat source rather than directly under the food. So here's my question: What's the best way to deflect the heat away from the baking pan? I have some ideas for this particular grill. I could slide the pan to the back of the grill and use only the front burner, but I'm not sure that would be the most efficient since it only heats one side of the grill. Another idea would be to raise the pan off the stainless steel grates with a grilling basket or cast iron skillet. And another idea is to put a cast iron griddle on top of the flavorizer bars under the grates, leaving a space all around the outside for the heat to rise around the baking pan. I already have a griddle that fits this way.

What's the best approach?

I think you're going to have a real hard time on that small a grill. The spacing of the 2 burners is just too close together

We bake almost everything that our inside oven can do on our E320 (E/W burners) in the summer to keep the heat out of the house. But I have to agree with Larry I think the burner spacing on the silver A is going to be too close to really accomplish what your after.

I have to agree that the size of the grill is a problem as it doesn't give you much room to move the foot away from direct heat. I guess I would probably go with some kind of pan that lays on the flavorizer bars and blocks the direct heat to the meat. Just make sure it doesn't cover up too much or you could turn the bottom area of the grill into a Chernobyl reactor.

I have to agree that the size of the grill is a problem as it doesn't give you much room to move the foot away from direct heat. I guess I would probably go with some kind of pan that lays on the flavorizer bars and blocks the direct heat to the meat. Just make sure it doesn't cover up too much or you could turn the bottom area of the grill into a Chernobyl reactor.

That's what I was thinking about doing with the griddle on the flavorizer bars. Doing that, and using a wok ring on the grates under the pan should help to get indirect heat to the food. And I'm just now finding this thing called a gas grill oven plate from grillinnovations http://grillinnovations.com, which looks promising, although it's expensive.

I wouldn't go buying anything expensive. A simple aluminum or CI pan or even a sheet of aluminum foil would work.

No, I wasn't going to buy that expensive oven plate, but the idea makes sense, and it does make me wonder if I could make up something that would do essentially the same thing. I may try that yet...

Anyway, I bought a wok ring for $6, and I have a griddle to put on the flavorizer bars, so that'll be the test setup on my Silver A.

Back