First boot hangs on "random: crng init done"

TB Gallant

TVWBB Member
Hey guys,

Trying to resurrect an old V4.0 board. Loaded the latest snapshot (I want to use wifi dongle) and all seems to go OK when I boot for the first time, but it hangs after 200 seconds on "random: crng init done". I cant' seem to do anything.

I've read sometimes just 'hitting Enter' can move it along, but no luck. That doesn't do anything (though I'm not totally sure my keyboard is working).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I think you're going to have to get a photo of the kernel log because if there's an error happening, it isn't in the "random: crng init done" line. I will say that not all keyboards work (due to being special devices and not standard USB HID devices) and also some USB hubs don't work right with the Pi's USB implementation, so the keyboard is definitely a variable in the equation as well. Are you sure it is hung? If a supported wifi dongle is inserted, then it should come up as a HeaterMeter wifi network by default.

Thanks Bryan, I was wondering if there was any way to export the log but a picture is my only option eh? It does't all fit on the one screen so I'll try to be quick and get some of the earlier entries as well.

I will also try a different keyboard, though unfortunately it is the only wired keyboard I have. I will try a USB wireless and see what happens.

It doesn't show up in heatermeter/devices or as being connected to my router (I pre-entered the credentials using the web ui to create my image).

Is there an explanation somewhere of what the LEDs on the HM and/or the Pi should be doing during a boot start up? I don't get any LEDs on the HM lit, and only the ACT and PWR on the Pi stay solid all the time.

Thanks,

I would re-download the snapshot image and try re-flashing the microSD card with that. Seems like something went sideways somewhere during the process.

The HeaterMeter and Pi are independent of each other so the stat of the HM LEDs means nothing to the Pi. If the HeaterMeter doesn't have any firmware on it, then the LEDs will just sort of float on or off however they please until the HeaterMeter takes over control of them.

The Pi LEDs are a little different depending on which it is but the activity LED is the only one we actively control, it blinks to indicate disk activity as it reads the kernel, then should blink fast (our PREINIT stage), then slow (INIT stage), the go steady (either on or off, but not changing). When the LED is steady, boot has completed successfully.

Which Pi and USB wifi device are you using? Is it one of the tested wifi devices listed in the wiki?

So I think an issue might be that the USB ports don't seem to recognize the keyboard (no matter what I use). They may not work at all (not sure how to check). This may be a busted Pi in some sense. I tried flashing Rasbian Lite just to check it out without the HM, and it installed OK but since I don't have keyboard/mouse access I can't finalize it.

Not sure what to do now.. buy another Pi I guess is probably the easiest solution. Should likely get a Zero W if I go that route.

I have an old Pi 1 Model B and was trying to use Edimax Wifi dongle. I actually just hardwired this morning to eliminate that as an issue. Something else is up and I'm pretty sure just my Pi is messed up. Did a fresh SD card image and watched the log.. lots of USB errors, and eventually just hung on them. Pi board heats up a fair bit (not mega hot.. but warmer than I'd predict). No HM on my local network at all, even with ethernet. Clearly not working.. USB ports are messed up, and potentially wrecking the rest of the install somehow.

I'm thinking Pi Zero W..

Tim

Oh yeah that's a good idea to try it with the wired ethernet too, I forget that some people actually have access to an ethernet port! When you do that, you can try it without the wifi dongle and the keyboard and eliminate most of the USB traffic. The ethernet chip on the Pi is also connected to the USB (in fact it is the only device connected to the Pi's USB controller, the other ports hang off the ethernet chip), but maybe without all the other stuff you might at least be able to make some progress?

Weirdly enough, my development system I have here on my desk the keyboard wouldn't work... yet it has worked for like 3 years and is running the exact same software it has been for a few weeks. Tons of USB errors as well. Is there something going around?

Hello, Damien from belgium here.
I'm experiencing the same problem. I'm using the Pi zero W V1.3. Are there other things to try?

Back