Latest acquisition

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So I'm perusing FB Marketplace and a "for free" ad popped in from Janesville WI. Just a short hop north on 39/90 for me for a Q300. Well not wanting to waste my drive I sweetened the pot for the people because for the most part it looked all there. So I Pm'd them and told them of they'd pull it off the street I would give them $20. They agreed and I went up there, loaded it and hustled on home. Total time spent about an hour. Not too bad.
Thoughts?
OwIVblF.jpg

da04dJp.jpg

grmCnTj.jpg

vDdIabZ.jpg

BTIGm05.jpg

zM9g0mZ.jpg

o0C13Il.jpg

wMiMqy1.jpg

XfXV7fa.jpg

FVrLmIi.jpg

It's missing a couple things. A screw and spacer from the handle. Screw is easy enough not sure about the spacer, the grease tray apparently never had liners in it so it is a little moth eaten. Here too perhaps a new one or some sheet metal patched it. Time will tell. The igniter is loose, a screw is missing to hold the burner down as well. Again easy fixes. The grate surprisingly is in really good shape
So for $20 and an hour time I don't think too bad a haul

Larry, looks like you did Good. The grates and the burners being in good shape is a real saving. Igniter should be easy but that spacer on the handle could be an issue. I think it is an insulator like the ones between the firebox and the plastic frame. Weber does not sell those and might not sell the handle spacer either. I sure would have jumped on it too, good luck.

Great deal Larry, Looks like you getting close to invading my territory. hahaha
Anyway, with a little work, you will have another great Q3xx. Good thing is the cooking grates look in good shape.
One problem you might run into is the insulator. I know from experience that Weber will not sell those alone. You might be able to get one if you buy a whole new handle assembly. You may be able to get one from the aftermarket sites, but I wouldn't count on it. You might have to fab something up....Maybe aluminum?

Are going to rehab it and flip it or keep it or give it to a friend?

The grate is in nice shape. That is the most important thing.
LM, if you have, or can obtain a handle from an old Happy Cooker
kettle, they work great to fabricate one of those insulator spacers.
If you do not have any luck, let me know. I have a couple of
sources that may be able to assist you.

A red lid would be nice also. I painted 4 yesterday.

2 of the 4 are in this pic.

lI40j9Qh.jpg

The CharQ and the 1200. The 300 was done back
in the early spring.

Last edited:
Cool, Larry! That is a great pick-up. And, yes, I agree with Dave that if you are willing to do a repaint, they look very nice in dark red. I think your only real challenge will be that spacer. Must be some place you can find material to do a fabrication. I suppose if all else failed you could use wood with a thin piece of some kind of material where the wood touches the lid. The grate alone on that one was worth more than the $ and your time.

The grate is in nice shape. That is the most important thing.
LM, if you have, or can obtain a handle from an old Happy Cooker
kettle, they work great to fabricate one of those insulator spacers.
If you do not have any luck, let me know. I have a couple of
sources that may be able to assist you.

A red lid would be nice also. I painted 4 yesterday.

2 of the 4 are in this pic.

lI40j9Qh.jpg

The CharQ and the 1200. The 300 was done back
in the early spring.

Dave,
I LOVE your redhead collection. Great picture and some very beautiful grills. (Very pretty deck and setting as well:cool:!)

My CharQ is begging for a redo. Mine is all there but really ugly:p. I have been thinking about updating to red, too, but...I don't know, maybe something different? Hopefully before year-end I will have an interesting rehab to share.

I just used my CharQ again on Sunday to quick grill some thin slice rib-eyes. Now that I have a better hang of it and use better fuel I really like it for the kind of grilling I did.

There have been some great opportunities for picking up flip grills the last few weeks up this way as people are trying to clear out the garage for winter. But, just like them, I don't have any extra storage space either. I will grab a "can't pass on it" grill, but I am trying hard to stay out of the collection business until next spring.

I am thinking at the worst case I would use some hardwood dowel material. Metal would not be a good idea as it would transmit heat right into the plastic handle. Or perhaps I could simply buy a new assembly from Weber. The lid is kinda beat up on the finish so yes plan is to do a paint job on it. Will have to wait until spring/summer. For now it's just gonna sit on the deck where surprise surprise we have a fresh dusting of SNOW. But I figure as for now the 2 "challenges" will be the grease tray holder and the handle spacer. Everything else will be cleaning and refinishing. I have been wanting a 2nd Q3xx for outside (will either be for the yard or the deck) not sure yet. I just had a tree taken down on Friday and at the request of a tearful grandson who was sad I had the tree taken out I had the stump left at bench height. So I may build a fire pit area, and a bench around that stump. And the Q might be a nice grill to keep back there
QpUaZzU.jpg

TI08Zed.jpg

xQJHxag.jpg

Great find Larry. Don't know much about "Qs" had a baby Q years ago but didn't much care for it,
so I sold it. Seeing that your a pretty good handyman I'm sure you will find a work around for the spacer.
Share some pictures when you get it done.

Yah, Jon, we got our dusting too. But wake up to a beautiful sunny morning. I will be happy when it melts off though. Way too early for this stuff. A few days ago, they were predicting 7.5" on Halloween. I bet there are a lot of relieved kids now that they only have a minimal chance for any precipitation that day.

14C5xTm.jpg

Wow Bruce that is pretty early for snow. Even in AZ we are going to be in the teens and low 20s at night next week which is very rare until late December or January. But I would take the snow as we haven't had any precipitation for almost two months, dry as a bone here.

Been a pretty wet summer all year long up here. I certainly don't like this snow. Waaaayyyy too early. I am more than happy to have a brown Christmas but with temps barely hitting 40 degrees if at all the next week plus, the ground is going to get cold fast and this kind of stuff will start sticking much sooner than it should. The leaves haven't fully dropped around here yet and very few of the farmers have their soybeans and corn in yet.

Great picture and some very beautiful grills. .....My CharQ is begging for a redo.

Thanks, Jon. I just got that CharQ last week. One of our WKC brethren sent it to me from California. I promptly painted
it and grouped it with my other reds. I am hoping to cook on it this coming weekend.

Thanks, Jon. I just got that CharQ last week. One of our WKC brethren sent it to me from California. I promptly painted
it and grouped it with my other reds. I am hoping to cook on it this coming weekend.

I will be very interested in you first impressions. When I used Weber briquettes, mine didn't do especially well. When I switched to Kingsford Professional it was like night and day to me. I think Weber works wonderfully for low-n-slow BBQ but not for fast high heat grilling with the somewhat limited airflow the CharQ supplies.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?77...-would-be-a-different-engine!&highlight=welsh

If you have an Ace hardware or True Value or whatever hardware store that has bulk bins go peruse those aisles for your handle spacer. I just had to do the same thing for a cabinet handle that had spacers. My Ace has all kinds of bushings in Aluminum, brass, nylon,etc. I ended up getting two aluminum ones (they weren't quite the same depth as the original. So I ended up replacing both). Then I rattle canned them to match the handle color. Works great.

Metal of any kind would not be a good choice. Conducts too much heat. Those spaces are made of a non heat conducting material.

It is some kind of ceramic like material. It reminds me of the stuff they use in "Terra Cotta" planters. I thinking that a wood dowel drilled down the middle for the handle screw might be a fix. But it would be in contact with the lid which gets pretty hot. Not really worried about it catching fire or anything, but it would probably cause the wood to deteriorate much quicker than a ceramic or metal option. But, they would be cheap and having a few on hand would probably be a good option.

Other thing I can think that might work is to find an old "heat resistant plastic" oven/stove utensil like a spatula with a round handle and cut a piece out of it. Then drill a hole down the middle.

Back