Spatchcock Chicken on Modified Rotisserie Spit

MikeSid

TVWBB Member
When I purchased my grill it came with roti spit the previous owner made. First, I'm wondering if spacthcocking a chicken would work on it. I have never used a rotisserie and am excited to try. Also, do you think a regular whole roaster chicken would work on this or do i need a regular spit? Any other tips would be appreciated. I plan on doing a fast brine and cook indirect @ 300-325 for 60 minutes and then finish off 215 minutes @ 375 for crispy skin.

image0_zpsnrhy9ngt.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mike, I think it would work fine for both as long as you get the bird clamped securely. I would probably truss up a whole chicken with string to make sure the legs and wings don’t flop out through the holes in the rack. It is and ingenious setup. Let us know how it works. Pics would be nice too! ��

That looks like a BroilMaster rotisserie. Re spatchcock on it. I think so. What you may fine though is that spit rod is a PIA. You might find it easier to just get a flat rotisserie basket and use that. Something like this https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07CBMGFHN/tvwb-20 I have had good luck with

Basket looks nice. How do i find the proper spit for my grill? I have a 900 LP and can't find any information for rotisserie that will fit it. I was looking for the whole setup in case I ever have to replace.

If you have an older sidewinder I think it's a 9890 Rotisserie but I am sure Bruce could help on that.

I just picked up a 9890 for a pretty good deal ($25) then, I needed a bracket (thanks Bruce) but, now I’m all set! Trial run yet to be determined. This is on my 1997 maroon Genny (1200)
I think a spatchcocked bird would work pretty well on that gizmo! Maybe a nice piece of fish?

Which gizmo? The one I had that was a BroilMaster type was always a PIA. Never worked right. I ended up giving it away. No matter how you trussed or positioned the food, the physical changes when it would heat up would always cause it to flop around. In theory you'd think it would be great but it was far from it

Ok, Im sold! This was the best chicken I've ever had. I guess I need to get out more! I did a quick brine with k salt, sugar, brown sugar, garlic, lemons, rosemary, and ginger. My thermometer on the grill wasn't working right and I guess I dint pay attention when I cooked some chicken breasts earlier in the week. I stripped my Weber kettle and stuck that thermometer in the side of the grill through the warming basket hole. I kept the cook between 325-345. I ran it longer than I probably should've but didn't have a meat thermometer. It went about 65 minutes and then increased to 375 for 10 minutes. Thanks for all the pointers. The wings on the bottom were being heated up from yesterdays smoke.

image0_zpszsrw22e6.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ok, Im sold! This was the best chicken I've ever had. I guess I need to get out more! I did a quick brine with k salt, sugar, brown sugar, garlic, lemons, rosemary, and ginger. My thermometer on the grill wasn't working right and I guess I dint pay attention when I cooked some chicken breasts earlier in the week. I stripped my Weber kettle and stuck that thermometer in the side of the grill through the warming basket hole. I kept the cook between 325-345. I ran it longer than I probably should've but didn't have a meat thermometer. It went about 65 minutes and then increased to 375 for 10 minutes. Thanks for all the pointers. The wings on the bottom were being heated up from yesterdays smoke.

image0_zpszsrw22e6.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

That gizmo Larry! The only gizmo in the conversation!
Mike, your feast looks like a great success! Was it as tasty as I hope?
Technically, those would be split not spatchcocked but, they look like the fit was good. No harm, just Fowl! (Har de har har)

That gizmo Larry! The only gizmo in the conversation!
Mike, your feast looks like a great success! Was it as tasty as I hope?
Technically, those would be split not spatchcocked but, they look like the fit was good. No harm, just Fowl! (Har de har har)

It tasted amazing! I will continue to fine tune it. When I measured the bird in it just looked like it would fit perfect if I cut them so I decided to do it. I gotta find more recipes...t here are so many threads to dig through here.

Nice looking birds! Your set up would work with spatched chickens too. Rotisserie poultry is awesome! Try some rotisserie wings.

35283491596_fa7045d7cf_c.jpg

Here's a spatched bird spinning:

33624910894_dcfb53063c_c.jpg

34425768206_4556db5bab_c.jpg

Back