Double Olive Bread

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Decided to make some bread to go with some bean and anduille soup that I was making. Wife found this recipe for olive bread. Looked in the fridge and we had some black olives and green olives stuffed with pimento. So we were set. I do think that calamata olives would be best, but these worked out fine. I used the brine from the green olives. It really gave the bread a great olive flavor. Next time I will probably do a second rise in the fridge for a total of two nights prior to cooking. All in all this bread was a success and we will definitely be making it again.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon instant yeast

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup chopped olives

1/4 cup olive brine from a jar of olives

1 1/4 cups warm water

Directions

1. In a large bowl stir together flour, yeast, salt and chopped olives.

2. Combine olive juice with warm water and slowly stir into dry ingredients until a shaggy dough is formed. If dough seems too dry, add a little more water, one tablespoon at a time, until dough is barely wet throughout.

3. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in warm place, and let it rise for at least 12 hours but preferably 18 hours. (Next time I plan on punching this down and then doing another rise in the fridge).

4. Place a large piece of parchment paper on counter. Generously flour the parchment paper. Use rubber spatula to turn dough on surface – it will be loose and sticky – this is what you want.

5. Flour hands and gently lift the edges of the dough in toward the center, folding the dough over onto itself to create a round shape. Cover with kitchen towel again and let rise for another 1½ to 2 hours. (I put mine into a proofing basket)

6. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Place large Dutch oven in oven while it preheats (about 30 minutes).

7. Remove hot pan from oven. Lift the parchment paper/dough into the hot pot. Cover with lid and put back in oven. Bake for 30 minutes.

8. Uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes, until outside is golden brown and crispy.

9. Let cool to room temperature before serving.

48957460251_100fbf8160_c.jpg

After initial rise

48956905678_be810746a2_c.jpg

Ready for the proofing basket

48957648497_8008c6e3b6_c.jpg

Fresh out of the oven

48957461766_a584a9df75_c.jpg

48957462226_491dbdb27a_c.jpg

Tasty!

Looks very good, Case! Think I’ll add olives to my weekly bake for a change of pace! I’ll serve it with some grilled chicken to make it Weber friendly!! Thanks for sharing!

Rich

Looks very good, Case! Think I’ll add olives to my weekly bake for a change of pace! I’ll serve it with some grilled chicken to make it Weber friendly!! Thanks for sharing!

Rich

Rich this is really tasty. Make sure and sub a 1/4 cup of the olive brine for the water. It really adds a good punch of flavor. I made 15 bean and anduille soup with the stock I made from the turkey breast I smoked on the 14.5 WSM to make this Weber friendly!

That looks killer. I need to get into bread making.

Thank you!

This is so simple to make it's really one of the best breads to learn with. If you omit the olives and olive brine (add 1/4 cup more water) you have a basic bread recipe that you can modify to taste. All you need is a dutch oven.

- - - Updated - - -

WOW!! Case that bread is to die for. Outstanding job.

Thank you Barb. Its really yummy.

Well I thought I had posted on this but I guess not. Looks great Case, I haven't made any bread since last fall time to get it going again.

Back