Weber 900 LP

MikeSid

TVWBB Member
Ive been a long time lurker but never bothered registering until I could score a grill I wanted. I finally got a 900 LP Redhead. I even ordered a brand new Weber the morning that I saw it on OfferUp. The seller was asking $50 and since I had automatic emails when a new weber gets posted I was able to jump right on it. I offered the $50 right away then bumped it to $100 to make sure. I got a quick reply. I drove an hour to get it and can say I am happy. This guy kept it mint and doesn't need a thing but I will be getting new burners and flavorizer bars regardless. I will be ordering the FBs on eBay from RC Planebuyer. Are there better burners other than factory? I also received two full propane tanks in the deal, grill cover, grease pans, home made rib rack modified for the rotisserie.

image0_zpsxmwjghel.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

I definitely would not be ordering WEBER burners. You can get aftermarket ones that will perform just as good for less than 1/3 the cost. I put a set on my Genesis 1000 three years ago that cost less than $15 and they are still going strong....in fact, I have a Pork Butt on the roto right now.

It looks like yours came with a roto as well. Congrats.

Excellent score! Heed advice from Restoration Guru Bruce San, he has guided this grasshopper through an almost complete rebuild of a 1997 1200 maroon hooded pearl. I just got lucky and scored an, almost complete, 9890 rotisserie kit for $25.00 and after I get the bracket (hence, almost complete), I will have pretty much completed the family of Weber equipment.
Not in all sizes but, the more common ones! 2-22”, 1-18”, 1- 18”WSM, 1-Smokey Joe gold, 1-Go Anywhere, 1-1997 Genesis 1200, 1- 14” round cast iron hibachi. I’m ready for a 26” find, a Skyline, maybe a Ranch but, I need a shed before I do that.

Last edited:
Ok, I will be getting the cheaper burners for sure. The frame is in good shape but I would still like to strip and paint. Im gonna have to start searching some old threads. Thanks for the tip with the burners! Im gonna have to see how you do a pork butt like that!

Nice looking red head. I still have 2 or 3 of those left from last year that I really need to get to work on.

Excellent score! Heed advice from Restoration Guru Bruce San, he has guided this grasshopper through an almost complete rebuild of a 1997 1200 maroon hooded pearl. I just got lucky and scored an, almost complete, 9890 rotisserie kit for $25.00 and after I get the bracket (hence, almost complete), I will have pretty much completed the family of Weber equipment.
Not in all sizes but, the more common ones! 2-22”, 1-18”, 1- 18”WSM, 1-Smokey Joe gold, 1-Go Anywhere, 1-1997 Genesis 1200, 1- 14” round cast iron hibachi. I’m ready for a 26” find, a Skyline, maybe a Ranch but, I need a shed before I do that.
I am already looking for another grill to purchase so I can use that while I strip this one. Ive cooked on it 4 out of the last 5 nights.

6# pork butt. Been on 7.5 hours now and I think it is in the "Stall" right now at 165 degrees internal temp.

Sorry, the camera seems to want to focus on the grill and not the meat.

sRVz6Bx.jpg

Having pulled pork and eggs for breakfast Bruce?
Must admit that sounds pretty darned good, maybe for one day next week...

Pulled pork tonight. Wife gets home at 11:30. Damn pork but is still in stall mode.

Bruce watch that temp as the rod is a strong heat conductor and it may not be as "stalled" as you think. Lookin very nice though.
That 900 looks especially nice to just be "found" in that condition. Good job. It's only missing the basket underneath. You may be able to just make up some Z bars and build a couple nice shelves under there though. I think you will find on the frame the only place you may want to "strip"/sand down a treat will be up where it touches the fire box. Also when you put the main bolt in on the left side use an appropriate diameter stainless steel carriage bolt and nut and use a liberal amount of Never Seize on the bolt and you will not have trouble with that. And of course the usual caveats do NOT try to remove the screws that "appear" to be holding the burners down. Hornet nest that is. Any place a screw or bolt passes though the aluminum use stainless replacements and Never Seize

Last edited:
Bruce watch that temp as the rod is a strong heat conductor and it may not be as "stalled" as you think. Lookin very nice though.
That 900 looks especially nice to just be "found" in that condition. Good job. It's only missing the basket underneath. You may be able to just make up some Z bars and build a couple nice shelves under there though. I think you will find on the frame the only place you may want to "strip"/sand down a treat will be up where it touches the fire box. Also when you put the main bolt in on the left side use an appropriate diameter stainless steel carriage bolt and nut and use a liberal amount of Never Seize on the bolt and you will not have trouble with that. And of course the usual caveats do NOT try to remove the screws that "appear" to be holding the burners down. Hornet nest that is. Any place a screw or bolt passes though the aluminum use stainless replacements and Never Seize

Thanks for all the tips! It did come with the wire shelves underneath. I must've taken them off to clean them before the pic. I was thinking of painting them red to match. Will be definitely sanding and staining the wood too. You said I may only strip/sand the area where the frame box meet, is there a reason why just that area? There is some very light surface rust in a couple spots on the frame where the wire baskets sit. The knobs for the burners were perfect until my big clumsy fingers put a hole through one, which seemed very brittle. Is there a way to find original replacement knobs?

Last edited:
Bruce watch that temp as the rod is a strong heat conductor and it may not be as "stalled" as you think.

I wound up taking it off after 10.5 hours. It still was only up to 185. Came out great though. I am going to be eating BBQ pulled pork sandwiches for a while.

Thanks for all the tips! It did come with the wire shelves underneath. I must've taken them off to clean them before the pic. I was thinking of painting them red to match. Will be definitely sanding and staining the wood too. You said I may only strip/sand the area where the frame box meet, is there a reason why just that area? There is some very light surface rust in a couple spots on the frame where the wire baskets sit. The knobs for the burners were perfect until my big clumsy fingers put a hole through one, which seemed very brittle. Is there a way to find original replacement knobs?

You can sand or grind away any rusty and repaint. The left side of the box where the bolt goes through is just one of the biggest problem areas and almost always has rust.

I wound up taking it off after 10.5 hours. It still was only up to 185. Came out great though. I am going to be eating BBQ pulled pork sandwiches for a while.
Do you cook the pork but like that for the entire cook? I always wrapped mine in aluminum foil for the several hours after initial cook but I don't know anything about rotisserie cooking.

You have my sympathies :D

Mike what I meant was those areas are typically the only areas I have seen that actually may need refinishing. Due to heat and exposure to a dissimilar metal (aluminum). Otherwise sand and paint to your heart's desire

Mike,
Welcome to TVWBB! I am a fellow south Floridian. I have been in Germany the past 10 days, so when someone showed me that grill I figured I would just have to wait and see. I am really glad you got it because it looks to be a perfect "keeper" grill rather than to be used for resale. As you mention, it really doesn't appear to need a whole lot, but it sounds like you are committed to going all out.

Regarding "rcplanebuyer" - Dave Santana - his stuff is all top grade. You would do better in the future if you contact him via Craigslist SF Bay section. He has to pay eBay fees when you buy through that, but if you contact him directly - and maybe mention TVWBB - he will can give you a better price.

Here's a source for knobs almost identical to the original. BBQParts.com is a very reputable company that many of us here have great experiences with. Scroll down and you will see the knobs they sell (the 1000 and 900 used the same knobs):

https://www.bbqparts.com/genesis1000.html

Mike,
Welcome to TVWBB! I am a fellow south Floridian. I have been in Germany the past 10 days, so when someone showed me that grill I figured I would just have to wait and see. I am really glad you got it because it looks to be a perfect "keeper" grill rather than to be used for resale. As you mention, it really doesn't appear to need a whole lot, but it sounds like you are committed to going all out.

Regarding "rcplanebuyer" - Dave Santana - his stuff is all top grade. You would do better in the future if you contact him via Craigslist SF Bay section. He has to pay eBay fees when you buy through that, but if you contact him directly - and maybe mention TVWBB - he will can give you a better price.

Here's a source for knobs almost identical to the original. BBQParts.com is a very reputable company that many of us here have great experiences with. Scroll down and you will see the knobs they sell (the 1000 and 900 used the same knobs):

https://www.bbqparts.com/genesis1000.html

Oh man, don't worry, I won't take all the grills. I am looking for another gasser if you happen to refurbish any and sell. I'd like to get one for my brother too. Thanks for the link!

Back