Disaster Struck Today

John Sp

TVWBB All-Star
Hello All,

Well my 26" OTG bit the dust today. My sons were helping me move it to the trailer so I could take it in to work tomorrow to grill for the team but in the process they managed to break one of the legs and and broke the leg mount off the bowl for a different leg. I still need the bigger grill for my large family for a couple more years so I would like to keep this one going for a while. Does anyone know if the leg mount can be spot welded back onto the bowl? Does anyone know if there is an after market table or plans for building a table so I could mount it that way? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Regards,

John

I probably wouldn't look to weld the washer back on unless it is pretty rough around where it broke off. The popular method for reattaching leg sockets is the washer method that you can see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxM2oYTZRak&t=217s

If you want to look into doing a table mount I would recommend looking for a Gen2 or Gen3 Performer table and simply making a custom table to go on top, modifying the wire basket, and so on. I think someone here built one not that long ago. As for the mounts there are two ways to go. One method you can try is removing the brackets from the existing kettle on the used performer you picked up. Some have had success with removing them without much damage, but I can't speak from experience. Another option is to buy some metal brackets.

There are several modifiers around here who have MAD skills with respect to metal work, I am NOT one of them! When my performer table cracked I seized the opportunity to make my double kettle arrangement making the top was fairly straightforward with the help of my banjo player/cabinetmakers help. When we set up the hole for the 18” I used some “L” brackets which placed the handles just resting on the top of the new tabletop.
Given the history of the legs on the 26’s failing I think I might be inclined to build a table from the get go. The problem for me is real estate! I don’t have any storage space for another one, and my wife would not be amused!
If the deal comes along, she will just have to get used to it and, I might need to build a shed!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate the help. JGarvey - I did register it (odd that I didn't think of that). I called Weber and they are sending me a new bowl and leg kit which is awesome - thanks! Bill and Timothy, I may still pursue the table idea (since I will still have the old bowl and the new parts I would have to replace wouldn't necessarily break the bank. Do you have any pics of the mounting brackets you used?

Regards,

John

Sorry John, No pictures of the parts but, the ones I used were just basic 90 degree corner brackets (think shelf bracket style) in my case they were about a buck a piece, for the larger kettle you might want a couple extra, I needed four, for the bigger one, I might consider six.
How cool that you will be getting a replacement bowl!
PM sent.

Last edited:
I have a one touch that the legs rusted off on.

the reason is where Weber spot-welded it caused a small raised spot on the inside.

The ash sweeper removed the porcelain from that raised spot.

Then it rusted through in those spots and became detached from the bowl.

I drilled those spots through the legs and attach the legs back with screws and washers.

Then I nibbled out the ash wiper with tin snips to clear the screw heads.

Still kicking.

If you know anyone who can weld this would be the way to make a Mini-Ranch. I have done a piece by piece clean-up, restore, and upgrade on a Ranch. While a stock frame gets the job done it isn't nearly as well crafted as this custom welded frame. The stock square tubing isn't a very thick gauge of steel and most pieces are attached with a minimum amount of welds to allow for a cheaper manufacturing cost. I imagine you could buy high quality materials for your own frame as cheap or cheaper than buying the parts direct from Weber. Also, if you are going to go this far do yourself a favor and use stainless steel hardware as it holds up better over the years.

By the way if anyone gets the idea to build a custom frame for an actual Ranch I wouldn't recommend welding the cross bars together as it won't fit through anything narrower than a double door. ;)

Sorry, I don't have pics of the brackets as I haven't picked up a set myself. Too many projects.

Back