Very Nice Platinum Series II 1999 Weber

That is a beautiful grill. The only issue I see is that it looks like there was some rust on the edges of the tables that was painted over.

I saw that, too, Bruce. Nonetheless, it is nice to see someone offering an extra nice grill that has been fixed up nicely for a fair price. I personally like this non-run-of-the-mill model.

That is a beautiful grill. The only issue I see is that it looks like there was some rust on the edges of the tables that was painted over.

Bruce,
Not rust as these side tables are made of aluminum. Most of the Platinums I see around this vintage have flaking paint on those tables and whatever paint Weber used on them is a bear to remove.
I soaked my side table in brake fluid to soften the paint and gently scraped with a single edge razor as paint remover was not touching it.

The side tables on my Platinum restore took the most labor out of the whole restore.

Jeff

Jeff, True. Yep, more likely flaking paint, but sometimes that aluminum gets a bunch of that oxidation built up too and it looks like they just lightly chipped away the loose paint and repainted. Pretty minor though and a really nice grill rehab. I would really like one of those style hoods for my SS Platinum rehab. I am not down with the SS hoods really.

What is the purpose/usage of the "Smoker Box" in the pictures and description of this Platinum grill?

Put wood chips in it while BBQing meat and the smoke created puts a smoke flavor into the meat.

Put wood chips in it while BBQing meat and the smoke created puts a smoke flavor into the meat.

That's what I thought. This one looks a bit different from the ones I've seen for sale that just sit on top of the grates. In one picture it's shown with a lid open and another closed. Does it hold water?

No, you don't want to put water in there with wood chips, but you can soak your wood chips and then put them in to prolong the smoke. I never do that. I don't think any smoke box with wood chips would work very well if it was on top of the cooking grates. They would not get hot enough to start smoking.

I suppose you could use it if it water tight to keep the inside of the cook box moist while you are cooking. For some meats, it is a good thing to have a pan of water inside the grill to keep up the humidity.

That's what I thought. This one looks a bit different from the ones I've seen for sale that just sit on top of the grates. In one picture it's shown with a lid open and another closed. Does it hold water?

That Weber smoker kit is designed to both smoke chips on one side ( wet chips maybe, but no water) and provide steam from the separate water container you see that is used just for the water. It comes with a shortened version of the left grate as that grill has. The positives of this set up include the fact that you can easily add new chips without upsetting your grates and maybe some positive effect from the steam. The Slow-N-Sear and the Smokenator for kettle grills both have a similar water container.

Many have commented that the ashes from your used up chips are going to wind up fouling your crossover burner. I think the solution is to make up wrapped foil packets that will fit in this box and just remove and replace as they stop smoking. It is also true that this design reduces your grill grate space. I am looking forward to utilizing one if these when I finally get to my Genesis 1.5 project. Not having actually used it I guess I would still say the convenience of easily replacing the chips as you are cooking seems to me to be worth the small sacrifice of space.

Last edited:
I used to have one. I think my dad still has one from his grill. In all honesty they're pretty useless. They leave a HUGE corrosive mess in your grill, the smoke is emitted at the same level or slightly above the food. Truthfully simply putting a foil packet of chips on the flavorizer bar in front is FAR more effective and leaves the entire grill space open

Back