DEFROSTING do you

Yep I've done that, outside when the Nov temps are quite chilly. Brine or defrost that's a proper cooler!

Tim

So I found charts for cold water thawing. 30 minutes per pound, change the cold water very thirty minutes.
I'd rather put in an ice bath and change nothing....

I don't customarily defrost in an ice bath but I do cold water defrosts so frequently that The Briner has proven to be a very worthwhile investment for me. Usually, I don't do water changes unless I need to cut some time from the process. There is no room in the fridge.

http://www.thebriner.com/

I avoid water thawing whenever possible but, have been forced to. But, if I had one of the big (easily handled/drained) water coolers I might do more “thaw brining” of birds. I just don’t know that that’s the root question.
I often “thaw brine/rub” butts in the fridge but, again, that’s a different process.

Side bar,
So Fletch, have you gotten to “Youz Guys” yet?
Let me know if you are going to be around here for an overnight, maybe we can share some sausages from the Guys!

Last edited:
So Fletch, have you gotten to “Youz Guys” yet?
Let me know if you are going to be around here for an overnight, maybe we can share some sausages from the Guys!

I have not been back since my last visit in July but I will certainly let you know when I travel there next in case you're available!

I put in big pot, cover with water
Bird still in plastic

Water stays in 30s -40s
Bird is very cold...near frozen
Takes a few hrs, pot sits in sink

I dont generslly have 3-4 days to thaw turkey in refrigerator

Last edited:
According to Butterball:
Using the traditional cold water defrosting method--- for a 14 lb. turkey---changing the cold water every thirty minutes should take 7 hours to defrost
Using an ICE WATER Bath according to Butterball should " take longer"

No specific time given so I asked the question a different way....
Would a 14 lb. frozen turkey defrost in 24 hours in an ice water bath? Answer: YES

Back