Need a longer hose and regulator for Silver C grill

Ed-B

Hi, I'm Ed, I live in Maine. I have two Weber grills, a Genesis Silver A that I've owned for several years, and a nice Silver C that I recently acquired and restored to operating condition.

Here's my situation and question for the forum: I want to install a new, longer propane hose and regulator on the Silver C. I plan to keep the tank outside and store the grill in my garage. I'll wheel it out and connect the tank when I use it, and I'd like to keep the tank on the side of the garage while the grill is near the door. I've researched this and find conflicting information, but at this point I think an 8 foot braided stainless steel hose and adjustable 0-20 high pressure regulator might do it if I can get a product good range of adjustment. I want enough gas pressure to get 550 degrees in the cook box when I run the 3 grill burners and the side burner, but I also know that I don't want it to be so hot that I can't dial it down and grill in the 250 degree range. What would you suggest?

Thanks in advance,
Ed.

Thanks, Bruce. I was thinking that a braided hose would be more durable and better for the frequency of connections and disconnections as I move it around. And some of the negative reviews of the various fixed value low pressure regulators that I read criticized them for not delivering enough pressure to get their multi-burner grills hot enough. Maybe I should just try that low pressure standard hose option first.

Why all the fuss about the tank outside and all? I store my tanks in the garages all the time. With the new tanks even if the valve opens with the hose off it will not leak. Seems like a whole lotta work over nothing

I've always read that the tanks should be kept outside, and that seems like a good idea. I also wonder what my homeowner's insurance company would say about it, but I think I already know.
And I'll add that the grill will be lighter and easier to move without the extra weight of a tank of fuel. The grill still has the original regulator too, although it seems to work fine. I guess I just feel better about detaching the tank and leaving it outside.

Last edited:
Back in the day when a tank would/could vent uncontrollably sure. But now there is no need. My ins co adjuster has even seen the tanks and a grill "hooked up to it's tank" in my garage and never once mentioned an issue he or State Farm would have about it. I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill and judging from wht you indicated you'd like to do actually dangerous compared to just leaving it on there and turned off when not in use.

More dangerous to remove the tank and leave it outside? How so?

I was asking for advice because I want to get a good hose and the right regulator. If everything is correct and gas-tight I would think it should be fine. Oh, and I'll get a rubber cap for the tank fitting to keep it clean and bug free when the grill is inside.

Last edited:
I meant using the wrong regulator is more dangerous. But heck it's your stuff I guess do as you please. I just think it's a waste of time and money. I also don't think constantly connecting/disconnecting those fittings is "good" for them. They're not designed for that. You're more likely to cause a leaky fitting and a possible fire IMO from that then simply leaving the goofy thing connected. I never worried about it. Your grill won't magically begin leaking gas or magically blow up in your garage if you just use it as designed

I think your plan will work fine, especially with the extra precautions you mention. A braided stainless hose may be not necessary but if it gives you extra peace of mind may well be worth it.

I am not a gas expert but I have experienced an LP tank empty itself due to being left open (with the grill valves closed - another action some say is not a big deal.) I think it is much, much less likely a closed tank would ever cause a problem but again I think you have fair reason to prefer storing outside your garage just the same. Since I don’t have a garage, all my tanks are outside all the time, admittedly in mild Florida temperatures. This is intended to be - and generally is - a friendly forum for advice and good feedback, so don’t ever feel bad to post questions.

I ordered the standard 8' hose and low pressure regulator (11 WC) that Bruce suggested. It's less than $18 with tax, that's not a big expense to try this approach. I can easily just coil the extra hose and put it on the wire shelf and hang the connected tank on the grill, too, so I don't see a problem either way.

Btw, I've been meaning to say that this forum is a wealth of information about these Weber grills, and I'm developing a better understanding of why they are so popular amongst those in the know.

Thanks everyone.

Back