Pre-Halloween Thanksgiving

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Crummy weather outside this past weekend. Rain, hail, snow, wind we had it all. So what better to do than fire up the 14.5" WSM and smoke a turkey breast! Picked up a bone-in 8.75 pound breast. Cut the neck portion off and some of the loose skin for stock. Seasoned it with SPOG inside and out. Air dried in the fridge for 8 hours. Ran the WSM with KBB and Apple wood @ 325°. Didn't get any cook photos the weather was super moist and with the wind I didn't want to open the smoker as the temps were holding nicely. Bird took right around 2.5 hours to hit 165°. Wrapped in foil and rested 30 minutes before slicing. Super tasty and nice and juicy. While the bird was cooking I make a small batch of stock from the neck and skin. I used that to make stuffing and gravy.

48935660511_af9e9716d6_c.jpg

Seasoned breast air drying in the fridge

48935846907_1bcc491125_c.jpg

Golden Nectar that I used to for the stuffing and gravy. I added bay leaves, pepper corns, salt, and garlic cloves with the neck and skin simmered in 6 cups of water.

48935661621_d465a69d8e_c.jpg

Right out of the smoker. After this shot I wrapped in foil and let the bird rest for 30 minutes prior to slicing.

48935844322_16c978b07a_c.jpg

Didn't get much color. Fast cook and the apple wood can account for that. Still had a nice smoked flavor.

48935655916_ea7102e7d6_c.jpg

Juicy!

48935837907_b811465ee8_c.jpg

Plated. Sorry no taters or cranberries.

48935105878_2260ffff5c_c.jpg

Yum!

I don't like to waste food. So with the carcass I made Turkey Super Stock. I will use some to make bean soup this week. The rest I will measure out into 2 cups portions and freeze. I'll end up with around 2 gallons of stock from this batch.

I use my Ogallala Cream Can for making stock. The low pressure cook reduces the time I have to spend simmering.

48935657191_e7205ecd70_c.jpg

Yep all of those veggies go into the pot. Also not shown, Kombu, peppercorns, juniper berries and bay leaves.

48935844072_d326befd89_c.jpg

Carcass loaded into the pot.

48935842492_1e22b02bf1_c.jpg

Simmered for 12 hours under low pressure. When I get home from work today I will strain everything out and be left with some good clear broth.

Looks lovely, Case! That cream can is a neat device, never seen one of those (just did a bit of Google searching, though!) Lots of great dishes to make with that load of stock! Enjoy!

Rich

Looks lovely, Case! That cream can is a neat device, never seen one of those (just did a bit of Google searching, though!) Lots of great dishes to make with that load of stock! Enjoy!

Rich

Thank you Rich! A good portion will be used to make bean soup this week. Then yeah it will get used up in all kinds of things. The cream can works great for all kinds of things, stock being one of them.

Love the cream pot! I want one but, I’m really out of room for one more pot!

Always room for one more pot! I use ditched the crock pot many years ago when I got this. I will never own an instapot. Why because I have a cream can!

Love turkey breast and yours looks fantastic, I also make stock with the carcass, nothing better than homemade and I can control the sodium by making my own. Soup weather is coming, although it sounds like yours has arrived.;)

That turkey looks amazing, so juicy! Like Rich, I had not heard of a cream can. I may have to pick one up.

Case, stop being an enabler! I’m going to look at them right now.

I’m not finding anything like what you have, any idea where I can find one? Missed the Oglala name first read through, what a great stock pot!

Finally I found some, not inexpensive but, in good SS it would last for years!
Maybe for Christmas

Last edited:

I’m not finding anything like what you have, any idea where I can find one? Missed the Oglala name first read through, what a great stock pot!

Maybe for Christmas

Timothy, at the risk of enabling you a bit more, there's an aluminum option that's less expensive called a Can Cooker. The stainless is likely to last a good bit longer, but properly cared for, the aluminum should hold up. Gee, it's fun helping other people spend money! ;)

R

Maybe for Christmas

The stainless Ogallala can will last forever. The Can Cooker aluminum ones are fine too, but they have a gasket that needs to be replaced.

I have the 2.5 and the 5.25 gallon Ogallala Cans.

https://ogallalacreamcansupper.com/

- - - Updated - - -

You could send a plate of that this way Case. Looks delicious, great job.

Thank you Barb. My boys and I are still working on a sling shot delivery service that can reach that far!

Thank you! Super good supper!

Ended up with gallons of stock! That's going to make some good stuff! Bean soup is up first this week.

Love turkey breast and yours looks fantastic, I also make stock with the carcass, nothing better than homemade and I can control the sodium by making my own. Soup weather is coming, although it sounds like yours has arrived.;)

That turkey looks amazing, so juicy! Like Rich, I had not heard of a cream can. I may have to pick one up.

That's a meal to give "thanks" for any time of year! Delish :p

Great looking breast Case. That cream can is pretty neat.

I could make room for the 2.5 pretty easily! Christmas is coming!

It really is the perfect size. Not too big, not to small. We do lots of pot roast, seven bone roasts in it. Soups, chili, stews. Crawdads, shrimp, anything you cook in an insta pot or crock pot works in this.

Back