Mangalitsa pork

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
"Eat them to save them."

We vacation in northwest Wisconsin and it just so happens that a Mangalitsa farmer (Chickadee Hills Homestead) is right in the area, so this past summer we picked up some pork to give it a try.

How about a nicely marbled pork steak?
MangalitsaPorkSteak20190728_1.jpg

Pork this pink would terrify some people but I have no qualms when the animal has been cleanly raised.
MangalitsaPorkSteak20190728_3.jpg

Mangalitsas are "lard hogs". Care to guess why?
MangalitsaSpareRibs20190902_1.jpg

MangalitsaSpareRibs20190902_2.jpg

MangalitsaSpareRibs20190902_6.jpg

MangalitsaSpareRibs20190902_7.jpg

As the fat congealed it turned into a delicious, buttery spread.
MangalitsaSpareRibs20190902_9.jpg

Spooner's about 4 hours or so from me and I'm planning on a road trip when my current supply is gone. I'm trying to make a strong commitment to small-farm, heritage pork these days and while it costs a little more I believe it's money well-spent.

Hi Brad, great post and pics! May I ask what you did with the congealed fat in your last pic? Are you saving it for another dish?

Thanks, everybody!

Brian, I scraped the plate into the can of "garbage fat" instead of trying to save it because it was pretty heavily infused with the rub and I couldn't think of a future use for it. Although now that you mention it, using it for some green beans probably would've been a good idea...I do have one more rack of ribs so I'll have to keep that in mind!

Hi Brad, it too late now but you could use the fat for seasoning your grills. I have a jar of bacon fat in my downstairs fridge that's used exclusively for my Performer grill :)

Back