Thread: Mangalitsa pork

TVWBB All-Star

Mangalitsa pork

"Eat them to save them."

We vacation in northwest Wisconsin and it just so happens that a Mangalitsa farmer (Chickadee Hills Homestead) is right in the area, so this past summer we picked up some pork to give it a try.

How about a nicely marbled pork steak?

Pork this pink would terrify some people but I have no qualms when the animal has been cleanly raised.

Mangalitsas are "lard hogs". Care to guess why?

As the fat congealed it turned into a delicious, buttery spread.

Spooner's about 4 hours or so from me and I'm planning on a road trip when my current supply is gone. I'm trying to make a strong commitment to small-farm, heritage pork these days and while it costs a little more I believe it's money well-spent.

Need to try Mangalitsas! Beautiful looking pork.

TVWBB Platinum Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    That looks awesome, but also pretty darn rich!
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Slow N Sear 2.0, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

TVWBB Member
    Hi Brad, great post and pics! May I ask what you did with the congealed fat in your last pic? Are you saving it for another dish?
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you are a really good fooler.
    '95 Spirit w/rotisserie, '00 WSM 18.5 with mods, Polder THM-362-86RM, Black Thermapen

TVWBB All-Star
    Thanks, everybody!

Brian, I scraped the plate into the can of "garbage fat" instead of trying to save it because it was pretty heavily infused with the rub and I couldn't think of a future use for it. Although now that you mention it, using it for some green beans probably would've been a good idea...I do have one more rack of ribs so I'll have to keep that in mind!

TVWBB Member
    Hi Brad, it too late now but you could use the fat for seasoning your grills. I have a jar of bacon fat in my downstairs fridge that's used exclusively for my Performer grill
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you are a really good fooler.
    '95 Spirit w/rotisserie, '00 WSM 18.5 with mods, Polder THM-362-86RM, Black Thermapen

Brad that is an awesome cook. Looks delicious and the pork is done just right.
    2009 Performer Platinum , 1999 Genesis 1000 LX, Mini Smoker, 2009 E320ng, 18.5 , 1993 Smokey Joe, 2011 Performer Deluxe