Vortex in a Ranch

DarylB

TVWBB Fan
Hey folks. I am very likely about to get a Ranch Kettle and I'm seeing a lot of talk about the Vortex. Looks like a versatile piece of equipment. For high heat, indirect cooking it goes in the middle of the grill so the hot air circulates and creates what I've seen described as an air fryer-like action. My question is, does the fact that the top vent on a Ranch is in the center of the lid make a difference. I might be over thinking it but would that cause too much of the heat to immediately escape negating some of the affect?

Of course if anyone has used a Vortex in a Ranch that input would be awesome too.

I might be inclined to pose that question to Marty at Owens BBQ he’s a member of the forum as well. Great people to do business with.
I’m a little jealous of the Ranch Kettle buck I know I’d not get enough use out of one to make it worth while besides, I am out of room in the garage!

My Weber platypus had a center vent also and when I used my vortex in it the chicken didn't get as crispy as it did in the performer. I only did it once so I don't know if was just something I did differently but I don't think so.

42485986025_044e951d01_z.jpg
[/url]100_3587 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

I might be inclined to pose that question to Marty at Owens BBQ he’s a member of the forum as well. Great people to do business with.
I’m a little jealous of the Ranch Kettle buck I know I’d not get enough use out of one to make it worth while besides, I am out of room in the garage!

I actually never thought I would go down this road but I've been trying to figure out a cost effective way to do an outdoor kitchen in my patio but the costs were just silly so I decided to get rid of my kamado type smoker since I don't use it much and part with my 26" kettle and get the ranch and put a tv out there. I'm pretty fired up about it. Hard to part with the 26 because I've cooked so much on it but it will be worth it.

The outdoor kitchen in Michigan is a very slippery slope, for up to six months you might need to blow a foot or more of snow out of it. Not a very practical thing for me and I don’t cook for twenty very often but a few times a year. The Ranch is not my best option.
My double barreled performer 22” and 18” have handled some pretty involved feasts better for me than I think I might have been able to on a Ranch. Others may be more skilled than I. I cook for 6 every week for family dinner, I use the 22 forty + weeks a year for that including Thanksgiving Day, Christmas and New Year! Unless it’s too cold or windy.
Now, I’m adding a rotisserie to my restored maroon head Genny, I can keep any of my guests happy especially when they come and say “I don’t know how to cook with charcoal!” But they’ve brought something that they can do on a gasser.
Oops, lost track of my point.
The gasser can roll inside the garage (after I clear a place) the cover for the double kettle has been put in place WSM can move in or out as I need it. Don’t need a TV out there, people are funnier than anything on that thing!
I am always impressed when people do a practical outdoor kitchen, they are rare around here.

Last edited:
Even here in sunny Arizona my parade of grills goes into winter hibernation when the snow flies. I do keep the E320 and the performer on the covered patio and the skyline just around the corner if I need that too, but so far it's stayed covered all winter.
My daughter had a beautiful outside kitchen but they live in Southern California where they could use it year round.

31605324987_7b51d33d5e_z.jpg
[/url]100_4362 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hey folks. I am very likely about to get a Ranch Kettle and I'm seeing a lot of talk about the Vortex. Looks like a versatile piece of equipment. For high heat, indirect cooking it goes in the middle of the grill so the hot air circulates and creates what I've seen described as an air fryer-like action. My question is, does the fact that the top vent on a Ranch is in the center of the lid make a difference. I might be over thinking it but would that cause too much of the heat to immediately escape negating some of the affect?

Of course if anyone has used a Vortex in a Ranch that input would be awesome too.

Where in FL. are you located? I am in Pinellas County and I have a Ranch that I have had since new, with a custom cover by a boat top Co. and never cooked on it. Been in my garage for years. Might let it go to the right person. Pics are in my previous post from a few years ago. Lemme know if you are interested

Where in FL. are you located? I am in Pinellas County and I have a Ranch that I have had since new, with a custom cover by a boat top Co. and never cooked on it. Been in my garage for years. Might let it go to the right person. Pics are in my previous post from a few years ago. Lemme know if you are interested

I could be. I'm in Palm Beach County so a bit of a hike. I saw the cover, very nice. Send me some pictures of the grill and I'll check it out. Thanks.

Back