Last straw unless...

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I’ve had Maverick TM-03 timers for over fifteen years, the first one lasted 10, the second, an hour, the third a week, the last one has made it barely a year! Well, that might be a little harsh but, I tried a couple between first and third just to be disgusted with the lousy quality of available timers!
Just wrote a “disappointment letter” to the company about this, they have a serious QC issue. I have got to think there are more folks that have had issues. I’m wondering if the customer service department gives a hoot?
I’ll let everyone know how they handle this.
I’m more than a little peeved about this!

Automatic reply has arrived in ten minutes...

Last edited:
I had a Maverick ET-73 years ago. I was not impressed and moved on when it died after a few months. I'm amazed you got 10 years out of one of their products. I think your experience with the replacements is more typical of their products.

<scratches head> I might still have a Maverick remote read set in the drawer, but I haven't used in years. Might have to see if it still powers on.

If you happen to have a Google smart speaker/display in your kitchen (I have the Google Home Hub), you can set several simultaneous timers with whatever names you want to assign just by talking to it. The Home Hub is also kind of fun/handy to use when following recipes. I cannot say if Alexa devices have the same capability but would be surprised if not.

I suppose I could use my iPad too but, that isn’t my point, I like an independent unit!
Thanks for the link Fletch, I started that one too!
It’s a cheap unit and I probably should not complain but, the first one was so good, it simply annoys me that the last ones have been such losers! The size, volume, legibility and, ease of use has been great but the last ones longevity is less than expected.

I really don’t want to use any of the Alexa type things, I’m old and just don’t like the idea! I’m smart enough to program what I need, I am not so feeble or needy as to want to tell some box to set a timer or measure 150 ml. of water while I build a gingerbread house.
End rant, sorry.

Last edited:
My remote two temperature Maverick thermometer has been really good for smoking projects, the timers seem to enjoy somewhat less reliable at least for me.

I've had three Mavs over the past 17 years. Really can't complain about them. One of them I had for a few years and I began to not trust the readings. But I really think I was just new to an offset stick burner. I still use them occasionally.

But I boiught a Thermoworks Smoke earlier this year and man, the quality diff is apparent from the moment you open up the box. With a Thermopen and a Smoke, I feel like I've got good tools.

To be clear, I am not talking about a thermometer here but, the TM-03 TIMER.
I just received a very kind letter from their customer service contact Rachael who says they will replace the unit!
Can’t ask for more than that! I’m just surprised that after having one serve so well for so long to have three fail in under two years. I would think they would have had to have made some kind of change to have that kind of failure rate. We shall see how long this one lasts.

My Maverick inexpensive thermometer has been just fine for probably five years. Now, it will likely take a nose dive!

I have three of the thermoworks big and loud timers, they have been great and used multiple times daily. Their customer service is great also, when Abby was a pup the timer went off and it was sitting on the coffee table and she hit it with her nose and knocked it off the table onto the hardwood floor breaking the stand. I called thermoworks and told them exactly what happened, the lady laughed and said will get a new stand out to me right away. It was here in two days at no charge.
Two are three years old and one is about two. No problems whatsoever. The alarm volume is adjustable from low to I can here it in the garage even if it's in the kitchen.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Extra-Big-Loud?tw=VWB&chan=TVWBB

Last edited:
I'll admit I haven't read every post on this thread.
Has anyone tried a multi-timer app for their smartphone? Seems there are a few to chose from.
Personally, I very rarely use a timer for anything, if I need one I tell Google Assistant to set a timer for X amount of time.

Well, when this one goes goes up, I guess I’ll go the timestack route.
We shall see.
Bob, I have a cell phone that is one step removed from a tin can and a string! I’m not overly interested in getting an app but, I might end up doing something along that line sooner or later.
I simply resist things in the electronic world for the most part.

Last edited:
Replacement is on the way from Maverick along with a return label for the blown one so they can figure out what happened! My outrage with the company is being assuaged. So I guess aside from the inconvenience I’m not out anything.

Well, customer service came through with flying colors! This morning a replacement arrived and lit right up as soon as I go out, I will send the dead one for diagnostic surgery back at the office. Since the first one was so good the standard was set for me I hope this one lives up to snuff!
Good points for Maverick Customer Service! They heard the complaint and were smart enough to jump right on the complaint and do the right thing.

I am a big Thermoworks fan. I have two Smoke remote thermometers (worlds better than my previous Mavericks), and I have two different Timesticks (around the neck timers - one is a clock or timer, the other is three timers in one). My latest is my Big and Loud timer for the kitchen. I use my timers daily and am extremely pleased with them. Their customer service is WAY better than Maverick, also.

Fwiw
Dale53

I will say that the “Please return the old one if you don’t mind” statement using their return mailer was not expected. I hope they figure out what the problem was.
I hear a lot of complaint about Maverick products but, for the most part, aside from a couple of this model going bad prematurely the rest of their units have served me pretty well.

Back