Question regarding grilling temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_Pincus

TVWBB Member
I was browsing through the "Steak Boot Camp" .pdf on the weber nation site...and I've seen this advice (time until doneness) in other places as well, but I'm very confused at what temperature people grill?

For example, the "Steak Boot Camp" recommends a 12-16 minute cook time for a Rib-eye that's 1 1/2" thick.

If I cooked a steak that long, it'd be charcoal.

I run my weber gasser full blast, and/or use a full chimney of charcoal in my smokey joe....at those temps, I'm done with a 1 1/2" steak in about 6 mins to med. rare. While I'm not exactly sure of the temp, I'm sure it's > 600 degrees.

Either I'm way off on my temp, or people like their steak much more well done.

In my books, I recommend a shorter grilling time for rib-eyes 1-1/2 inches thick. I like somewhere between 10 to 14 minutes total for medium-rare, with 6 to 8 minutes over direct high heat and then 4 to 6 over indirect heat to finish them with burning the surfaces. High heat for me is somewhere in the range of 450 to 550 degrees. To gauge that with your hand, hold your palm 4 to 5 inches above the cooking grate. If the temperature is too high, you'll have to pull your hand away after a second or two. If you can leave it there for 3 or 4 seconds before having to pull it, that's ideal in my book.
Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back