Cast Iron Banana Bread

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
A couple years ago I got rid of our old tin loaf pans and replaced them with Lodge cast iron loaf pans. I really like them ans I always get a perfect bake when using them. Never have anything stick. Depending on the type of bread I am making I either butter the inside or shoot with PAM.

For this particular batch I buttered the inside of the loaf pan.

Recipe:

Ingredients
1 cup granulated sugar
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
3 ripe bananas
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
Optional: 1 tsp. ground nutmeg, nuts (1/4 cup max), 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom.

I added nutmeg and 1/8 cup chopped pecans, 1/8 cup slivered almonds.

Directions
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan.

Cream the sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. (I use the Kitchenaid mixer with the scrapper paddle attachment for this.)

In a small bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. Mix in the milk and cinnamon. In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Add the banana mixture to the creamed mixture and stir until combined. Add dry ingredients, mixing just until flour disappears. (Hand Mix for best results. Add flour into wet mixture in thirds)

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Set aside to cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Remove bread from pan, invert onto rack and cool completely before slicing. (My oven runs cool so my loaf took 20 minutes longer.)

48897691372_bc0e414e1b_c.jpg

48897691047_4bd89cffab_c.jpg

48897496396_a7edbcfff4_c.jpg

48897691267_fdf27c31a4_c.jpg

Wow, that looks really good Case. Really like the CI loaf pans too didn't know lodge made those, will have to add a couple to our CI fleet.

I'm all over this Case. That bread looks delicious and yes I'm going to be adding a couple of those bread pans to the fleet. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Case, do you preheat your CI loaf pans at all? Or do you put them in the hot oven at room temp?

Best thing that anybody can do is pick up some decent loaf pans, rather than the grocery store variety. 20 years ago, I picked a set of tinned non-sticks that have held up very well to my [occasional] use. Comparatively speaking, heavy gauge sheet steel, and with a commercial grade coating. These are not cheap, but nothing sticks to them.

Wow, that looks really good Case. Really like the CI loaf pans too didn't know lodge made those, will have to add a couple to our CI fleet.

I'm all over this Case. That bread looks delicious and yes I'm going to be adding a couple of those bread pans to the fleet. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thank you!

Watch the sales at the big stores I picked mine up for $7.99 a piece.

Case, do you preheat your CI loaf pans at all? Or do you put them in the hot oven at room temp?

Best thing that anybody can do is pick up some decent loaf pans, rather than the grocery store variety. 20 years ago, I picked a set of tinned non-sticks that have held up very well to my [occasional] use. Comparatively speaking, heavy gauge sheet steel, and with a commercial grade coating. These are not cheap, but nothing sticks to them.

The only time I preheat them is when I make corn bread. Otherwise its room temp to oven.

Back