First time Turkey on the Rotisserie

Pete R

Hi,
This is my first post and I have a question about my first attempt at doing a turkey on the rotisserie on my Weber Performer 22" kettle.

The turkey is 12lbs. I was planning my target temp at 325F to get a good crispy skin.

My question is how long should I budget for this cook? Was thinking about 3 hours. Want to make sure the turkey will be ready at the right time, and not too soon or late for my guests.

Thanks for your advice!
Pete

My guesstimate would be between two to two and a half hours. But, that’s a guess, based on my time trials, if it’s really cold where you are, it may take a little more time.
Doggone it! Now I want to spin something!

2-1/2 to 3 hours at 325°F. Start checking for doneness at 2 hours, 160-165°F in the breast, 170-175°F in the thigh.

The last couple Thanksgivings I've done a 12-14 pound bird on my rotisserie. In my experience, if you budget for 3 hours of cook time, i'll be done in 2. If you budget for 2, it'll still be 30-40 degrees short of done and need 3. Bottom-line: plan on a 3 hour cook. If it finishes sooner, it's easy enough to keep it warm (cover loosely with foil and put into a dry cooler with some towels on the bottom). You will lose a bit of the crispness of the skin during the rest, but if you can rest in on the spit, you could throw it back on at the end to re-crisp it. You'd want to get the kettle good & hot for that.

Back