Is this paint? Is there paint in Weber 1000 cookbox?

PeterB

Hi TVWBB:D

I'm restoring my father's grill and currently cleaning out the cookbox. Is there paint in here? I don't think there would be but I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before moving forward. Is this just hardened grease and junk?

I'm using a brass wire circular cup brush on a drill:
Thanks!
TjKB0Uel.jpg

Peter,

WELCOME TO TVWBB!

I am pretty sure all you are seeing is carbon/grease buildup that has hardened. On the inside of porcelain hoods it looks just like black paint pealing off.

You might want to consider adding a cheap Harbor Freight angle grinder to your arsenal. With that and a wire cup brush you can get that job done way faster and better than with a drill-based wire brush.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=grinder

For $9.99 the DrillMaster is cheap enough to look at as a throwaway. If you are willing to spend more, the Bauer ones look very promising. I haven't tried mine out yet, but I also have the Hercules one that I bought on one of their many sales. It is a very powerful grinder that could make sense if you plan to do this as a hobby. Otherwise, get a cheap one.

Using a grinder was one of the first big lessons I learned from joining TVWBB.:coolkettle:

Jon is right. That is just carbon buildup. There may be a little paint from over spray up around the top edge, but that's it. Either way, it won't hurt to strip it, whatever it is.

He is right about using the angle grinder as well. If you are just cleaning a grill out for yourself or someone, it isn't a big deal to strip it down to bare aluminum since it will get coated again in a few cooks anyway.

The two guys above have pretty much helped me through all the uneasiness of doing a restoration if for nothing but my own gas grill. The hard part is I keep finding things that need rescuing! The angle grinder will save you a lot of elbow grease.
But, “Abandon all hope, Ye who enter here!” The Weber “hobby” gets pretty crazy, pretty fast!
It is a good feeling to get something that someone has decided to cast aside and bring it back to its purpose!

Peter,

WELCOME TO TVWBB!

I am pretty sure all you are seeing is carbon/grease buildup that has hardened. On the inside of porcelain hoods it looks just like black paint pealing off.

You might want to consider adding a cheap Harbor Freight angle grinder to your arsenal. With that and a wire cup brush you can get that job done way faster and better than with a drill-based wire brush.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=grinder

For $9.99 the DrillMaster is cheap enough to look at as a throwaway. If you are willing to spend more, the Bauer ones look very promising. I haven't tried mine out yet, but I also have the Hercules one that I bought on one of their many sales. It is a very powerful grinder that could make sense if you plan to do this as a hobby. Otherwise, get a cheap one.

Using a grinder was one of the first big lessons I learned from joining TVWBB.:coolkettle:

Jon is right. That is just carbon buildup. There may be a little paint from over spray up around the top edge, but that's it. Either way, it won't hurt to strip it, whatever it is.

He is right about using the angle grinder as well. If you are just cleaning a grill out for yourself or someone, it isn't a big deal to strip it down to bare aluminum since it will get coated again in a few cooks anyway.

The two guys above have pretty much helped me through all the uneasiness of doing a restoration if for nothing but my own gas grill. The hard part is I keep finding things that need rescuing! The angle grinder will save you a lot of elbow grease.
But, “Abandon all hope, Ye who enter here!” The Weber “hobby” gets pretty crazy, pretty fast!
It is a good feeling to get something that someone has decided to cast aside and bring it back to its purpose!

Hey guys, thanks for the help! I went at it a few more times to take the top layer of build up off, but didn't take it down to the bare metal.

Brand new regulator hose, grates, and flavorizer bars. Washed it all and fired it up to about 500 deg for a burn in.

Going to grill up a ribeye tonight for the maiden voyage.

Back