Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CharQ vs Lodge cast iron Sportsman grill

CharQ vs Lodge cast iron Sportsman grill

I saw this Lodge Sportsman Cast Iron grill for sale on Letgo for only $20:

https://letgo.onelink.me/O2PG/ecff6f8c

I was intrigued, especially considering the bargain price for what looks to be in pretty decent shape. I checked out some YouTube videos about this grill. It does have its merits, and twenty bucks is a good deal. I found that you pretty much need to use a single layer of charcoal just like on the Weber CharQ that I have. The thick bar cast iron grate turns out results that I think some here would prefer - more like the sear from a griddle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1nZPRGwFR0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wjdOf4SZGw

The CharQ, on the other hand, has narrow (but tight) cast iron bars. It does leave more distinct grill marks.

To me, the CharQ is a better plan. MUCH easier to care for (watch the 2nd video of all the cleanup the guy does), RUST FREE, lighter to take with you somewhere and more grilling space. I have learned to really like the CharQ now that I have gotten used to it. It is not a replacement for a kettle but a great tool for quick grilling of stuff like burgers, chops or steaks.
    Last edited by Jon Tofte; 10-13-2019 at 12:42 PM.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 CharQ,Q2200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, SJ. 2 many projects!

TVWBB Honor Circle Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Twenty bucks is pretty cheap! Those go for $100 fairly regularly (new). The comparison for a CharQ is a teensy bit one sided though, don’t you think? If I could find a CharQ for forty bucks I’d be happy but...
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Well, I am biased, but for twenty bucks I was thinking I should grab it. After watching those videos I decided I didn’t need it.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 CharQ,Q2200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, SJ. 2 many projects!

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit. I've never knew that such a beast existed. After looking up this Weber CharQ my desire for a lodge Sportsman has disappeared. I want a charQ now.
    Jon are these things rare? I've never had one come up on CL when searching Weber.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Yeah, the CharQ was pretty short lived but, I don’t understand why. Probably low sales, one or two showed up around here quite a while back, I’d like to fall into one for the right price but, I think my last find will be my last for a while!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

I have had a Lodge Sportsman for years and it lives on our patio table with its Lodge cover. We use it for Hibachi cooking and shish kabobs. Besides that we use our other grills. Great little grill that will last for a lifetime just like Lodge cookware!
    Weber Summit Platinum D4, EH (1994) Smokey Mountain, DZ (2008) 22.5 WSM, ER (1996) Ranch Kettle
    O (1992) Performer, DR (2006) Smokey Joe Platinum & M (1990) SJ Gold, 3 Big Green Egg's LG, Sm, Mini

TVWBB Pro
    I consider the char q to be my holy grail of grills. In my 8-10 years of searching, I have only come e across 1, and I still kick myself for not gettin it. I like the lodge, and for $20, that was a great deal. But (for me) hands down, I really really really want a char q!
    Tim
    Weber SG Gold Mini WSM 18.5 WSM Genesis E 320 Q-200:cool '06 Blue Performer

Tim speaks the truth for many grill searchers like ME for one!!
    I want both, they each have their strong points!

TVWBB Member
    I got one of those for nothing, friend never used it and must have got damp. Both grate are rusted, how can I remove the rust easily?

TVWBB Pro
    Not sure if they still sell it, but I used to coat the grates with oven cleaner and the rusty grates in a plastic garbage bag for a couple days. It always worked like a charm.
    Tim
    Weber SG Gold Mini WSM 18.5 WSM Genesis E 320 Q-200:cool '06 Blue Performer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast