Barbecuing without a computer...

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
After I bought my used Rec Tec, I was showing off to my boss the Rec Tec app on my phone and how I was monitoring a cook I was doing right then. He looked at it and said, "That's not barbecuing, that's pushing buttons!"

In a way, there is a little bit of truth to that, but I don't feel it is cut and dry. If I use a kettle or a WSM with an ATC device and/or use a Thermoworks Smoke or Signals is THAT barbecuing?

Well, yesterday we were having company and decided we needed something in addition to the ham my wife was doing in the oven. Chicken sounded good. It was tempting to go with the Rec Tec, but I felt that I finally had a little time and could use my beautiful old red kettle, a classic "MBH" (metal bowl handle) one with some signs of use but a real red Weber kettle finish.

I used a Smoke N Sear and a KillaGrilla stainelss grate that pairs up very well thanks to the very large one side flip up. So here is my bbq chicken from yesterday. No electronics or computers involved:

Here is a picture I posted before of chicken on the Rec Tec:

I would have to say that the results were very similar, at least to my untrained pallet. So, I would say as others have also noted that a pellet grill is really nothing more than another way to get to the same destination.

That's some fine looking Chicken and my Kettle is where I like to cook it. I find the whole discussion about what is Q and what isn't pretty amusing. The history of Q has been one of evolution and it looks like Pellet Grills are becoming another mainstream method of making Q. I've found that there are some things I'll do on Charcoal and others where I prefer pellets. It's nice to have that choice. Ain't America great. .

Great chicken! I have a Weber Performer, and the most tech I use with it is my Thermoworks Thermapen to check the temperature for doneness. Truth be told, if I cooked more often on the Performer, I would probably want to get something to monitor temperatures. It would take some of the guesswork out of it, so I guess you could argue against that being 'pure BBQ'.

I think all of it is great, and there will be something that comes along someday that will be 'better' than pellet grills too. And that is just fine by me also. The reality is, that anything more than meat stuck on a stick over an open flame, is some form of cooking advancement.

With ten Weber's in my backyard I have many possibilities to pick from for grilling or BBQ. It's unfortunate that where I live is a high fire danger area and during the prime grilling season open flame grilling isn't allowed anymore regulating me to my four gassers.
Yes you can smoke on a gasser but it isn't as good as charcoal or lump with smoke wood.
This is something that's not going to go away in my lifetime so with the technical advancements in grilling technology there may be with the pellet grill a way for me to enjoy smoking again without undue fire hazards.
For that I am grateful.

How do you like that Killa Grilla kettle grate? I've been considering asking for one of those along with a Slow n Sear for Christmas.

We all know grill marks are just for show, but is it harder to get them with the heavy stainless construction of the KillGrilla grate compared to a stock Weber grate? Anything else you like or don't like about it?

I recently put one in my performer. I really like it so far. Its a lot heavier than the factory grate. No problems so far with it, but I've only done some lower slower cooks with the slow n sear. I'm really considering getting a grate for my 26" now.

I have to admit I also see the over use of electronic manipulation of temperatures more “pushing buttons” and fully appreciate the ease that provides many people. Good for you. It’s simply not a road I wish to travel, I fully accept a remote thermometer especially for long cooks where one may actually want to get some sleep. I don’t need the investment in ATC, or most of that kind of thing, heck I don’t even own a smart phone and my iPad is not “connected” through an internal sim card (I’m just a cheap old putz)! I’m not saying the aids are bad just, I’d prefer an old hardline phone and less “connectivity” in my life. I spend too much time here and on another site to begin with let alone shopping for things I often do not NEED!
Grumpy old man? Maybe. Food lover, definitely! If it’s worth doing, go ahead and take the time to do it as well and carefully as possible. For some that’s using electronic slaves which may annoy you as much as actually going pit and dealing with things in the manual (analog) method. Not so much my concept of the methodology.

How do you like that Killa Grilla kettle grate? I've been considering asking for one of those along with a Slow n Sear for Christmas.

We all know grill marks are just for show, but is it harder to get them with the heavy stainless construction of the KillGrilla grate compared to a stock Weber grate? Anything else you like or don't like about it?

I got the 22" grate from ABC and really like it. It's not as thick as the KillaGrilla one but it is made from 304 SS so it should last a long time. Whichever one you get though will be a big step up from the stock one.

Kevin,
I have been - and still am - out of the country so I have not done well keeping up. I personally can’t say enough good about Mark Baron and KillaGrilla. Top drawer in my opinion. Thick solid 304 stainless. Yeah they cost more but they should last for even decades vs “use and watch rust” regular oem grates.

I always use my kettle grills for low and slow bbq, so I can’t comment on the sear mark question. I would think they would be apt to make bolder ones whereas the thin oem grates are praised by those who prefer an overall “crust” vs sear marks.

I have to admit I also see the over use of electronic manipulation of temperatures more “pushing buttons” and fully appreciate the ease that provides many people. Good for you. It’s simply not a road I wish to travel, I fully accept a remote thermometer especially for long cooks where one may actually want to get some sleep. I don’t need the investment in ATC, or most of that kind of thing, heck I don’t even own a smart phone and my iPad is not “connected” through an internal sim card (I’m just a cheap old putz)! I’m not saying the aids are bad just, I’d prefer an old hardline phone and less “connectivity” in my life. I spend too much time here and on another site to begin with let alone shopping for things I often do not NEED!
Grumpy old man? Maybe. Food lover, definitely! If it’s worth doing, go ahead and take the time to do it as well and carefully as possible. For some that’s using electronic slaves which may annoy you as much as actually going pit and dealing with things in the manual (analog) method. Not so much my concept of the methodology.

I can totally appreciate that view, but as an IT professional that loves gadgets and with two teenage kids, 'pushing buttons' has been the only thing making decent cooking possible with soccer, dance, band, etc. I don't leave cookers burning unattended at home when no one else is, but without control and monitoring I wouldn't be bbq'ng because I wouldn't have the time to tend to it or I'd forget to go check on things often enough (while squeezing in the other chores that need done in a rare day at home) and ruin a bunch of expensive meat. A pellet grill and now the Fireboard/Drive combo have been life savers when it comes to cooking the past few years and really help with the busy life too being able to cooks large amounts for leftovers during the week.

Back