Low and Slow Tri Tip

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I've wanted to try the Dueling Bubbas slow cooked Tri Tip (like a brisket) for a while now. I had a nice 2.3 lb. roast in the freezer, choice at best, and decided to give it a go.

This was a smaller tri tip, barely 2 lbs after trimming, so I deviated a little on the pit temperature. Brought it down to 225. Rubbed it down with the Dueling Bubbas rub.

enhance

enhance

Put together some scalloped potatoes.

enhance

enhance

Foiled at 160 after slathering bbq sauce mixture over meat.

enhance

enhance

Some beans.

enhance

Potatoes done.

enhance

At 200, the thinner end of the tri tip probed like butter but the thicker end not so much. Let it roll up to 205 and called it good.

enhance

Sliced it up.

enhance

Plated it up.

enhance

I did this cook Monday night before we lost power. Came out really well. The meat was melt in your mouth tender and had a great flavor. It tasted like, well......brisket. Won't replace my grilled tri tip cooks. I like that 125 stuff too much. It was fun though for an occasional variation. Thanks for looking everyone.

PS The recipe is in Weber's The Art Of Cooking With Live Fire book.

Edit... My wife made hot beef sandwiches with gravy last night using the left overs. Wow, was it good.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I can bring myself to do that one, Cliff.....I just like reverse seared TT too much! Looks great, though.....and those taters look absolutely scrumptious!

R

Thanks guys!

I'm not sure I can bring myself to do that one[/QUOTE

I know what you mean Rich. I doubt I’d have tried it with one of my Costco Prime Tri tips. This guy I got on sale at Safeway for $1.99/lb so the risk was minimal.

Last edited:
Looks really good Cliff like the taters too. Barb and I always have a couple of TTs in the freezer. Might give that a try although I really also like my TT indirect with a reverse sear, have to think about this a little.

You nailed it Cliff!
I had to look it up, but I did my first Bubba's style tri tip like a brisket in 2013. I've made them several times since then, as well as several the "normal" way. I stopped posting those cooks due the flak some members gave me for "ruining" a perfectly good tri tip.
Little do they know how good these can be, right? :)

Right!! My wife's still talking about this cook.

Well that got my attention, hot beef sammies with gravy. I grabbed my the art of cooking with live fire and looked up the "The Dueling Bubbas" I really like what I see on the recipe. Even the wood smoke combination sounds interesting.
I know times can really vary but about how long did your cook take?

Looks tasty,

try using a tri tip when making a Mississippi roast. Makes for tasty sandwiches.

Looking really guud Cliff. We do them that way here. I like to call them "triskets". They make excellent Sammies later too
And its good to see you back on. The wife & I were wondering about you guys out that way. Take care & stay safe

Back