Dizzy Hens (inspired by CB)

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I really liked the look of Cliff's game hens the other night, so I picked some up the other day, and they were defrosted by this am (don't know about y'all, but where I am, the only CGH's are frozen like rocks!) Due to a fridge malfunction, I didn't have any teriyaki in the fridge, so I went with my tried/true chicken marinade from my booklet that came with my very first Mastertouch kettle back in the early 90's (soy, balsamic, oil, oregano, basil, garlic.) The birds spent about 3 hours in the juice until I loaded them up on the grill.....set up was with baskets on either side, rotisserie spit down the middle, running nice and hot. It took just about 40 minutes for these little birdies to be done, then my daughter and I plated them up with some wild rice and a salad. It was a really tasty meal, and, while they are very close to chickens in flavor, we enjoyed the subtle difference in these hens. Thanks for the inspiration Cliff (side note......this meal has a special place in my memory, as it was served to my wife and I at the B&B we were staying at when I asked her to marry me.)

A few pics.......tried to recreate Cliff's poses! :)

48877905968_df915c9179_z.jpg

48878636007_2ef7d84255_z.jpg

48878437271_ea0e34045b_z.jpg

48878437176_1313f1a17e_z.jpg

48877905508_907ba7f4ec_z.jpg

....and, I found some time to make some bread between conference calls today, too.....

48878437376_9f65809cf3_z.jpg

Thanks for lookin'!!

Rich

Very nice cook Rich. Been a real long time since I've spun some game hens, might give it a go soon. Same with the bread haven't made any loafs in about a year, got to fix that too.

One more big hit from you, sir!
The thing that is most frustrating for me since I’ve developed diabetes is how much I miss really GOOD bread and yours looks as good as it gets!!!

Looks outstanding Rich. Familiar too! ;) Bread is amazing, as usual. Is that the same loaf (recipe} you posted on FL a couple of weeks ago?

Thanks, all!

Looks outstanding Rich. Familiar too! ;) Bread is amazing, as usual. Is that the same loaf (recipe} you posted on FL a couple of weeks ago?

Guess you got your power back, Cliff? Thanks for the inspiration on the hens!! The bread formula was:

633g AP Flour
413g WW Flour
100g Semolina Flour
240g Active starter (100% hydration, fed with WW Flour)
766g Water
26g Salt

Similar to my last FL loaf, but with some Semolina subbed in for some of the WW.

R

Really nice looking chicken! Love the sound of that marinade too; simple, effective.

The thing that is most frustrating for me since I’ve developed diabetes is how much I miss really GOOD bread and yours looks as good as it gets!!!

I was thinking the same thing. I don't mind admitting, I stared at that picture of the bread for a good long bit.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't mind admitting, I stared at that picture of the bread for a good long bit.

KE (and Tim), thanks for the bread comments. I make a couple of loaves every week, and it's just one of those stress reliever things that I love doing. We always keep a loaf and give one away (I'm not above bribing people to be friends!) ;)

R

Back