Fried Turkey Rub

PCMancini

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on best rub for a fried turkey? This can be either commercial rubs or homemade recipes. I realize timing of the rub as well as application technique is essential as the hot oil will burn off alot of any surface rub.

Thanks,
Paul

(and yes I know this is best asked under the Turkey Talk Forum but that is still closed.)

When I used to fry turkeys in Oil, I used Tony C's rub and injections and they always came out golden.
Did a few teriyaki with a rub and yes , the skin did turn black, but the meat was incredible.
I now have an oil less infrared propane one, so I play around more with different rubs and injections.

Tim

Low, low paprika as well, that will burn and give a more bitter flavor. I might be more inclined to do some more herbal rub under the skin, it will impart more flavor and not burn as quickly. Just one man’s opinion.
Tim, tell me more about the oilless infrared fryer, sounds pretty cool!

One year l decided to inject a turkey with a sweet and sour sauce and a rub with ginger in it. Man was l shocked when l took it out of the fryer. The skin was black as coal. Embarrassing yes but the turkey itself was very good. Now l stick with injecting and a rub with little of no sugar.

When I used to fry turkeys in Oil, I used Tony C's rub and injections and they always came out golden.
Did a few teriyaki with a rub and yes , the skin did turn black, but the meat was incredible.
I now have an oil less infrared propane one, so I play around more with different rubs and injections.

Tim

Thanks, I have used Tony C's in the past. I also appreciate the other suggestions about avoiding sugar and paprika.

Paul

I have had good luck injecting the turkey the night before, then putting rub on when I pull it out of the fridge. You could also put the rub on when you inject it, and just freshen it up before frying. I use Emerils recipe for his "Emeril's Essence Creole Seasoning" It does have paprika in it, but I haven't noticed a problem. You could easily cut back on it, or leave it out. I use the same rub for beer can chicken. This is pretty spicy. In his recipe for fried turkey, he uses that as part of the marinade, and the rub is simply.

1 cup salt
1 tablespoon cayenne
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper

This is good also, but I prefer the essence.

Last edited:
I use Tony's, just not too much of it.

Here's a cool variation that I've used successfully a few times...

Smoke the bird for an hour or so before you drop it in the fryer. Incredible!

I just got one of the Big Easy infrared oil-less 'fryers' for this years turkey dinner.

May smoke one too, just because I love smoked turkey for my gumbo, tamales and enchiladas.

I use Tony's, just not too much of it.

Here's a cool variation that I've used successfully a few times...

Smoke the bird for an hour or so before you drop it in the fryer. Incredible!

I just got one of the Big Easy infrared oil-less 'fryers' for this years turkey dinner.

May smoke one too, just because I love smoked turkey for my gumbo, tamales and enchiladas.

Thanks for the tip, gonna try that!

Tim

I like Cajun Shake. I’ve been using it since the 90(s) and just yesterday I was discussing the game plan with my wife and she asked if I had enough Cajun Shake.

I like Cajun Shake. I’ve been using it since the 90(s) and just yesterday I was discussing the game plan with my wife and she asked if I had enough Cajun Shake.

That's made by zatarain's, right?
I need to buy some, getting burnt out on Tony C's.

Tim

Back