Weber Pellet Grill

Tony-Chicago

TVWBB Wizard
I am surprised that this forum is not already swamped with people; curious ones, Engineering and Tech nerds (me), Charcoal Purists, Gas Grill Greats, even pellet fanatics. (poopers?)

I thought a disturbance in the force this large would awaken everybody.

I do not know if a pellet grill will do any better than a WSM, Kettle, or Grill, but I am interested in what Weber will bring out.

It may only be coming to market to help with after sales. (pellets) It may be in the pipeline cause of its appeal to the set it and forget it crowd. Either way I hope it helps Weber stay at the top of the game. More revenue means more innovation and more products. More revenues means more Support Services, Manufacturing in the USA, and even more recipes could be an expected bonus.

I am hoping their first effort is a real solid piece and they throw everything at it like a first-time movie director. They have the knowledge, the engineering and the technical wizardry. With all the other makers on the market already, Weber know what works. Nobody knows what it should be better than us. Research on what is wanted, accessories and improvements can come from us.

Let us start!

Last edited:
Tony,

I think there are several pellet grills that Weber has to look at as benchmarks. There are high-end ones like Yoder and MAK that are priced out of the middle market that Weber operates in. Both great brands with very different approaches. Excluding them (and maybe a few other high end brands I am not thinking about) that leaves at least two in my mind:

Traeger Ironwood (Traeger's Timberline is better, but appears to be their attempt to go upmarket. Priced a lot higher than what we are being told Weber will be offering.) Anyway, there are still things to like:

1.) High chamber that allows three grate racks or cooking something like turkey or beer-can chicken.
2.) Up to date WIFI and computer controls.
3.) Double wall cooking chamber
4.) "Downdraft" exhaust which makes sense at least in principal.

A few things not as good:
1.) Looks like non-stainless grates
2.) Ditto for the body...what about hardware? Probably not.
3.) Dinky side shelf

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...ARy_qlVBOAFGMKyy6lBoC4_EQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I would offer that the Rec Tec RT-700 Bull would be the other target. I can directly vouch for these comments since I own and use one.

Things to like:
1.) Stainless grates of decent quality, certainly perfect for BBQ
2.) Stainless barrel, heavy stainless heat deflector & firepot, and lots of stainless hardware
3.) Available large stainless fold-down front table (extra cost, however)
4.) Well respected up to date controller and WIFI. The WIFI app works really well.
5.) Very large center rear mounted hopper which allows for a short auger that is less likely to jam.

A couple things not as good:
1.) A second stainless shelf is available. That's good, but it is not a grate that slides in like Traeger's but a shelf that rests on top of the main grates.
2.) The typical - and I think going out of style - grease management with the bucket on the side is messy and a pain.

https://www.rectecgrills.com/rt-700-pellet-grill/

I think Weber has to meet or exceed these two pellet grills. The limited teaser pictures seem to show that the Weber SmokeFire will have a more modern grease management system and maybe something like Traeger's "Downdraft" smoke system. They are also claiming 600 degrees to allow for true high heat searing. Neither Traeger or Rec Tec can genuinely claim this.

It is going to be interesting to see what it will be like. I sure hope they don't skimp on using stainless steel. Using stainless in key components and great customer service, are two of the big positives about Rec Tec in my mind.

Last edited:
I think the discussion is kind of muted because at this point we know just about all we're going to know about the product until they do a formal announcement with specs and people start getting their hands on them. And that may not be until March/April timeframe. It's gonna be a long winter... :D

I think the discussion is kind of muted because at this point we know just about all we're going to know about the product until they do a formal announcement with specs and people start getting their hands on them. And that may not be until March/April timeframe. It's gonna be a long winter... :D

I agree about the long winter. I was hoping to get a pellet grill before winter so I wouldn't have to freeze my butt off chasing temps on the WSM. But I won't get anything until I see what Weber has to offer. Oh well. :p

I agree about the long winter. I was hoping to get a pellet grill before winter so I wouldn't have to freeze my butt off chasing temps on the WSM. But I won't get anything until I see what Weber has to offer. Oh well. :p

Rich,

I would do the same thing. I am excited about Weber coming out with this and really hope they hit one out of the park. I guess we will all have to wait and see.

It will be a long winter - but not a cold one - for me:smilekettle:!

It's crazy, just 5-7 years ago I was all about chasing temps and the "challenge" of adjusting vents, etc. But now, I have lost alot of my desire to do any of that. Every now and then I get urge, but doing a multi-hour smoke has just lost it's luster. Maybe a pellet-based device can get me out of that rut.

Derrick,

I am with you. I do enjoy doing old-fashion BBQ when I have plenty of relaxation time. Problem is that I seldom have that and most of my BBQ requests come when I am working at one of my 3 jobs - or at least hopefully doing some grill restoration work:coolkettle:.

I don't see my Rec Tec pellet grill eliminating my kettles or gas grills, but it is very nice to be able to BBQ while at work and monitor temperatures and even adjust settings from my office. I am way more willing to cook for events and friends now. I think the pellet grill does VERY respectable cue and have enjoyed most everything I have cooked on it. Maybe not quite as good as a near perfect use of my Green Egg or a kettle, but very much close enough. Some of my family actually prefers it. It is also VERY consistent.

It's crazy, just 5-7 years ago I was all about chasing temps and the "challenge" of adjusting vents, etc. But now, I have lost alot of my desire to do any of that. Every now and then I get urge, but doing a multi-hour smoke has just lost it's luster. Maybe a pellet-based device can get me out of that rut.

Far cheaper than a high quality new pellet grill is an ATC and some gaskets for your WSM 18.5". I almost bought a new Rec Tec earlier this year. I had given up on my WSM 22.5" because even an ATC could not contain its temp swings, and like you, I was tired of chasing temps on long cooks. Instead, I refreshed and renewed my 22.5" wsm with gaskets, new dampers, new door and a lid hinge. Now that all of the leaks are plugged, my ATC can hold the temp constant. It is almost as easy as a pellet grill; only firing it up is more work.

My ATC is a Stoker (no longer selling new units, just parts), but BBQ Guru, Thermoworks, and others sell excellent ATCs. If you are an electronic DIY'er, you can even build a heatermeter yourself. The current generation ATCs let you monitor and control a WSM remotely so overnight cooks no longer need to wait for the weekend.

My stock, bare bones, WSM's have always ran steady after a minor vent adjustment or two at the beginning of the cook.
Case in point, on Monday I cooked a small butt on the 14.5, adjusted the bottom vents once, she locked in at 250, the temp I wanted, for the entire cook using KBB.
I'm always puzzled with why some folks have so much trouble getting steady temperatures.

I'm always puzzled with why some folks have so much trouble getting steady temperatures.

I am jealous of folks whose WSMs work perfectly straight out of the box and puzzled why those folks don't understand that many of us aren't so lucky.

I don't have a WSM, but I do have a Big Green Egg (large which is really kind of small - about the size of a Weber 18" kettle). I like it, and it does do a good job of holding temperatures. It has made the best pork shoulder I have been able to do. I don't have any fan gizmo but I do have the Thermoworks Smoke, so monitoring temperatures in my house is nice.

Real fire is real BBQ, but my Rec Tec does what I would still call real BBQ as well. I still find it a lot easier to use. Also, the enormous grill space compared to my Green Egg gives the Rec Tec Bull another huge boost. It can do a pretty impressive amount of food at one time.

Like I said, won't ever part with my kettles or gas grills, although I do use my Green Egg a lot less now. I see a pellet grill as a cool new weapon for the arsenal, not a replacement.

I am jealous of folks whose WSMs work perfectly straight out of the box and puzzled why those folks don't understand that many of us aren't so lucky.
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound belittling to anyone.
I'll change that to being puzzled why quality built smokers perform differently for different users.

I'll change that to being puzzled why "quality built" smokers perform differently for different users.

I owe you an apology too; I'm sorry, my response was way too snarky.

I think it is mainly the 22.5" models that have the issues. That center section is just so big and flimsy that producing it in large quantities to a fine tolerance (in terms of roundness, door fit, and surviving shipment) must be very challenging for Weber. I have an original 22.5" with the huge rectangular door opening. Since I modded it in June, there have been no runaway temps and charcoal usage is way down. I made trip tip this weekend using just left over coals; I never had any left over coals before the gaskets because it leaked so bad even with the vents closed. I have used it more times this summer than the past four years combined because it is such a pleasure to use now. For anyone frustrated with temp swings in their WSM, I cannot recommend gaskets and an ATC highly enough.

My stock, bare bones, WSM's have always ran steady after a minor vent adjustment or two at the beginning of the cook.
Case in point, on Monday I cooked a small butt on the 14.5, adjusted the bottom vents once, she locked in at 250, the temp I wanted, for the entire cook using KBB.

Bob, I've tried and failed trying to get my 18.5 locked in, maybe because we are at 5600 feet but it just gets crazy, especially in the winter. As I've stated before when it works the WSM is the best, but with my meds when I get cold it takes me hours to warm up. In the summer I enjoy it, but not so much anymore in the winter when I really like to use it the most. Time to move on.
Hopefully it will be a Weber and good chow will be here again without the hassles I'm experiencing now.
For those of you that your WSM works well, I wish you the best.

It looks like Weber is not allowing any discounts on their new Pellet grills. Here is an an add from a local Farm and Fleet type store near me.

XeRPg0X.jpg

Maybe It's just the pellet grill, I was at Home Depot and they had all the Weber's marked down. Although they don't have or at least don't have on display any of the Weber pellet grills.

Yah. I just dont think anyone will see reduced prices for the new pellet grills anytime soon.

Back