Whole lotta Pork going on

russ olin

TVWBB Platinum Member
Once a year or so I like to do a Snake River Farms Pork shoulder leg bone in. Being Berkhire pork they are always guud.
Usually they are around 14 lbs, give or take a half pound or so. We ordered this a while back a 20 lb monster shows up.
Not complaining mind you, definitely got our moneys worth. But its flipping huge. Oh well, gotta get it done. So here we go.
DeOPRmw.jpg

On the M1 ready to go. For BTU's cherry, peach & apple from Fruita woods.
Burnt stick wood for 9 hours. Roughly one stick every 30-45 mins. Gotta be on your toes for this cook.
3 hours in starting to look guud a few cracks in the meat.
hHHPXeF.jpg

Oh yea starting to look a lot better.
voqiFY2.jpg

After 9- 91/2 hours of stick wood, pulled off & wrapped in paper.
Switched the M1 over to lump charcoal only. And let the pork shoulder Q for the night.
Reloaded the M1 at 10:30 & @ 2:30AM. Went to bed, actually fell asleep during the boring Monday night route.
Cleveland a Super Bowl team yea, just like Denver.
Well anyway here is the result some 22 hours later.
The M1 cooked around 225-228 all night.
Slow & easy, just the way to do it
uE5iSQt.jpg

Lots of nice bark
pAc05G8.jpg

I think its done.
Starting to pull it all apart.
wx1j0sT.jpg

Here I am working my butt off after 3-4 hours of sleep last night.
Oh well, I love to do this stuff. (Actually I have Bobs bacon smoking away right now)
owuf1oT.jpg

Here's the left overs, even the knuckle joint fell completely apart in pieces.
It was completely done, yet nice & juicy.
Well, this should hold us till spring. We ended out with 8 nice size bags & a bunch in the fridge to piece on.
U9VDr8T.jpg

Hope that you enjoyed the presentation, definitely as big of piece protein that I want to do.
I don't have a smoker that would do anything bigger.
Thanks for lookin' & keep on Q'n.
Russ & Deb

Last edited:
Holy crap! That's all I can come up with, Russ!! Well, other than I'm bummed I wasn't at your table! :)

Rich

Beautiful piece of meat! I wouldn't have pulled it personally, I would have enjoyed it slice by slice with nothing on it except my taste buds! To each their own, I am sure it was excellent however its eaten. What's the price per LB on those? Thanks for the pic's :p

That is a work of art Russ. Got to give you a lot of credit for doing a cook that long, me it wouldn't happen although even if I did Barb and I would be feasting on that for at least a year. I've got a seven pound shoulder in the freezer and I'm trying to work up the ambition to get that done. Maybe I'll do the bacon and shoulder together, the old two birds with one stone trick.

That looks absolutely gorgeous Russ!! I can just imagine the flavor in that meat. Well presented and I enjoyed your narrative too. Can't imagine the shipping cost on that monster.

Here I am working my butt off after 3-4 hours of sleep last night.
Oh well, I love to do this stuff.

I know exactly what you mean here. I love these style of cooks as well.

That looks absolutely gorgeous Russ!! I can just imagine the flavor in that meat. Well presented and I enjoyed your narrative too. Can't imagine the shipping cost on that monster.

I know exactly what you mean here. I love these style of cooks as well.

Cliff, we had a coupon for this so it wasn't all that bad, shipping $9.99.

Back