Cocktails

J Grotz

TVWBB Wizard
Any cocktail lovers out there?

What's your current standby and what do you make when you want something a little different?

My standby is a G&T made with Jack Rudy tonic syrup.

My little different has been the Aviation of late.

standby/everyday is Tanqueray & diet Schwepp's Tonic.

my real cocktails are:

Cucumber Martini with Hendrick's Gin

oQFuFuh.jpg

Straight rum featuring Matusalem Gran Reserva 15

M6i6CxV.jpg

It's 5 O'clock Somewhere.

Vodka Tonic
Gin & Tonic

for malaria you understand

Hot black coffee with a shot of Irish whiskey (no dairy please) for those long Alaska nights

My Dad always enjoyed making Highballs ( whiskey & ginger ale)
I like a Jameson & ginger ale or a 7&7.

Tim

Gin & Tonic: Boomsma Jonge gin (Dutch), Fever Tree tonic (splash), lime juice (splash)
Old Fashioned: Bourbon (rotating), healthy dose of bitters, just a bit of simple syrup, orange peel garnish
Smoked Old Fashioned: Same as above, but shaken in a shaker, then poured over an ice sphere made with smoked ice/water (I know, nerdy....but good!)

48332578501_90355522f6_z.jpg

Manhattan. Bulleit rye, cocchi vermouth and griottines cherries. It will change your life!

Hendricks martini when I need a change.

Last edited:
A good Old Fashioned. Recently got myself some "big cube" ice trays and have been down an internet rabbit hole looking for ways to make the clearest ice cubes.

@Rich G: How do you make your smoked ice cubes?

Bourbon on the rocks, and a Bloody Mary occasionally.

JimK,
Our old upright, non self defrosting freezer, makes some nearly all clear cubes. I'm willing to sell it. :)

Old school “perfect Manhattans” C.C., Martini and Rossi vermouths, angostura bitters. Standing in a shaker, do not shake! Chilled martini glass, two cherries if I’m entertaining.
Or brandy, rocks. For simple travel.
Grey goose in the freezer when at home, twist.
Or
The “General Sternwood” from “The Big Sleep”
“Champagne cold as Valley Forge with two or three ponies of brandy under it.” They are exquisite but, lethal! Not for the faint of heart or anyone driving! Breast rule applies (one is not enough but, three are too many)

I'm mostly a beer guy, and when I do have some bourbon or rye, I prefer it neat.
But when I want to get fancy, I like an old fashioned.
Bourbon/rye, simple syrup, bitters and an orange and cherry garnish over a few ice cubes. I have been known to substitute honey for simple syrup!

@Rich G: How do you make your smoked ice cubes?

Jim, step 1 is to smoke some water. :) Sounds weird, huh? I put a layer of ice cubes in a foil tray, and toss on the smoker at 225-250 with whatever smoke wood you want. The temp of the smoker doesn't matter much, you are just after good clean smoke for about 45-60 minutes. I like to start with ice since, as I typically still have a bit of ice floating when I'm done, which means I can go directly to step 2...... pour smoked water into ice molds (I use spheres) and freeze. The most important step in my opinion is to use a shaker to mix/chill your cocktail, then pour over your smoked ice. The reason for the last part is that starting with a chilled cocktail means your smoked ice will melt more slowly. The smoke flavor and aroma will become more noticeable as your smoked ice melt into the drink.

Give it a try!

Rich

Thanks for all the responses! I have some new drinks to try. Thanks to Chris A. for fixing the typo in the thread name. Perhaps too many cocktails?

Here is an Aviation from last weekend (got to keep TVWBB related, right?):

J7Y1mlC.jpg

From Jim Meehan's PDT Cocktail Book:

2 oz Beefeater Gin
.75 oz Lemon juice
.5 oz Luxardo Maraschino Liquer
.25 oz Rothman & Winter Creme de Violette

Some books omit the Creme de Violette, but that is what gives it a shimmery silvery color like the planes of the 30's, and also balances out the lemon juice.

A good Old Fashioned. Recently got myself some "big cube" ice trays and have been down an internet rabbit hole looking for ways to make the clearest ice cubes.

I've been down that rabbit hole. After trying to go the home built route, I surrendered and bought a Wintersmiths mold. It still takes some practice, but it works very well.

https://www.wintersmiths.com/

It's perfect for Old Fashioneds and Negronis.

Big cubes? I think they are more hype or maybe enjoyable diversion. If we are plagued with “polar vortex” again this year, I might make some courtesy of Mother Nature. I don’t have enough freezer space for the four “sphere” or “Big cube” trays.
I tried a grocery store silicone sphere maker and it was a pain to deal with.
One thing to remember, many of the “Classic” cocktails relied on cracked ice to be shaken for the slight dilution to “broaden” the flavor.
To tell the truth, the whole “big cube” gadget is millennial hooey as far as I’m concerned.
What’s wrong with a “bartender” why must these Philistines be “mixologists”? Go get a friggin life kiddies.
End rant.

Last edited:
While not a cocktail per se, I'd picked this up for an annual April reunion with friends. Guess it'll continue to bottle-age.:(

Wollersheim_whiskey.jpg

Back