Smokin....in a nutshell😯

Gene Brownson

TVWBB All-Star
The farmer is collecting black hickory or some type of chestnut or wall nut. They say you can use the shells of smoking food, anyone ever heard and or tried such a thing? Curious. 😶

Hey buddy, how have you been, long time no see.
I tried hickory nuts years ago for smoking but don't remember the results.
Pretty sure some folks use pecan hulls, and since pecan trees are a variety of hickory, maybe the hulls from other hickory varieties will work too. I wouldn't try them while still even slightly green.
Maybe a little test burn?

Hey buddy, how have you been, long time no see.
I tried hickory nuts years ago for smoking but don't remember the results.
Pretty sure some folks use pecan hulls, and since pecan trees are a variety of hickory, maybe the hulls from other hickory varieties will work too. I wouldn't try them while still even slightly green.
Maybe a little test burn?

Hi Bob. I’ve been so busy the past few years, ever since moving out to the country and working in the farm as much as I can. Thanks for the tip on using this. I never knew and will give them a chance to dry out and like you mentioned a test burn. THANKS!!

To add smoke to a charcoal fire...I tossed WHOLE pecans on the fire. It was fabulous smoke flavor for the burgers. Next time I have some unshelled whole pecans, they are going on the fire!

I've used the shells of pistacio nuts on a charcoal fire.
Worked pretty good as well and gave me an excuse to go and buy more pistacio nuts ;)

Back