Silver C Rotisserie Question

Richard in NS

TVWBB Wizard
When using the rotisserie on a grill with East West burners, do you keep the front burner on or the rear one if only using one burner? I would tend to think the rear but wondered what others do, and why? Hope to have my first rotisserie turkey on E/W burners this weekend for Canadian Thanksgiving.

It depends if you are going to use smoke wood, actually it doesn't I always use the front burner on my E320 as the heat vents out the back so by using the front burner the heat will go over and under the meat. By using the back burner most of the heat will just go out the rear vent.
Hope that makes sense.

Really makes no difference at all. I regularly use either one or both, BUT if I am putting a smoke packet in I ALWAYS use the front one. If not it makes absolutely no difference in the outcome

Richard:
I'm running a Genesis E-320 and I also use the front burner like Rich & LMichaels. I have a Smokemiester installed on the rear of my grill for when I smoke things. I was advised that high heat eats the smoke so there is less transfer to whatever you are trying to smoke. When using the grill like an oven I use the front and rear burners with the center one off. For regular grilling I run all three burners full tilt.

Did a big chicken yesterday, used all 3 burners, front near medium, center and back on low. Recipe called for medium high direct heat. With the drip pan I don't think it would make much difference, direct kind of ends up indirect.

It depends if you are going to use smoke wood, actually it doesn't I always use the front burner on my E320 as the heat vents out the back so by using the front burner the heat will go over and under the meat. By using the back burner most of the heat will just go out the rear vent.
Hope that makes sense.

Excellent explanation. Exactly what I would have said.

Thanks for all the tips folks! Temporarily patched up the frame, installed new firebox and cleaned up the burners on this old Maroon Silver C. Spun the bird and it was a Thanksgiving Success! Love the E/W burners. The complete rehab will have to wait until next year as it is too cold now to be repairing and painting the frame and end caps. But I can use it until then.
Later,
Richard.

lOimd8t.jpg

M9di8Bw.jpg

fyczSSb.jpg

V3MfsIx.jpg

Looks mighty tasty and I am sure the guest of honor did not care that it was spun in a grill with a little rust LOL

Enjoy your grill and when the warm weather comes back make it shine. Nice looking bird, can't beat a roti turkey. I have four Weber gassers all E/W wouldn't have it any other way.

I have to say that Weber made a HUGE mistake by going to NS burners. Owning both a very high end grill with NS burners and an infrared rotisserie burner along with my good ol Genesis 2000 I have to say when it comes to doing a spun food item (beef roast, chicken, pork what have you) the Genesis wins hands down over the high end infrared. The Genesis cannot be beat for rotisserie performance, flavor and ease of use. The high end grill is OK and I do use it for things larger than the Weber can handle but for the best food I go to the Genesis.

Larry, I agree whole heartedly. I had the rotisserie on my S330 with N/S burners and it was challenge to get things cooked evenly. It was you Great folks here on this forum that convinced me I needed E/W for spinning. I also have a Genesis 3000 torn apart to rehab next year as well. I just grabbed the Silver C to use in the meantime. I am hoping with the deeper firebox and removing the top Flavorizer bars I can fit a bigger turkey in the 3000.

Larry, I agree whole heartedly. I had the rotisserie on my S330 with N/S burners and it was challenge to get things cooked evenly. It was you Great folks here on this forum that convinced me I needed E/W for spinning. I also have a Genesis 3000 torn apart to rehab next year as well. I just grabbed the Silver C to use in the meantime. I am hoping with the deeper firebox and removing the top Flavorizer bars I can fit a bigger turkey in the 3000.

Yup, you should be able to fit a bigger turkey in the 1000-5000 firebox, you'll really appreciate the extra real estate.

Since my bracket came yesterday and is now nicely cleaned up (thank you Bruce) I will install that and be ready for a first gas spin! I have the menu already set for tonight but, very soon I will break it in!

Yup, you should be able to fit a bigger turkey in the 1000-5000 firebox, you'll really appreciate the extra real estate.

The issue with your buzzard won't be fitting it in it's the motor is not strong enough to spin it. I myself pretty much don't like turkey but if I am called upon I will do it. IIRC mush more than a 12lb buzzard is all the little motor on the Weber spit can spin

Larry, I opted for the rotisserie from One Grill that is rated for 40 lbs instead of the Weber at 20 lbs so it should not be an issue to spin a 17 lb bird. The pic I posted above was 11 lbs and it barely fit without hitting the drip pan. Another inch clearance should get me to around 17 lbs. I love turkey, so the more the better. :D

As far as I could tell the motor is the same as the Weber and in my experience it's not strong enough to spin something large without stalling or stripping the plastic gear train

I've got the Onegrill but I've never done more than a couple of chickens. I bet a small bird would be fine, but I'd rather cook the bird on a smoker.

Back