My all-time best chili

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
It was very cool, misty rain and windy this morning. Better now...
ESPECIALLY since I made the best pot of chili ever!!

For a DOUBLE BATCH, abt. 12 servings...

INGREDIENTS
2 cans (16 oz) BUSH'S® Chili Beans (1 mild, 1 Medium)
4 tbsp oil or Lard
2 lbs ground Chuck
2 large onions, chopped
3 heaping tsps jarred, minced garilc
4 cups water
4 tsps salt
1 tsps pepper
1 tsps sugar
1 tsp ground cumin (or to taste)
1 tsp oregano (or to taste)
4 tsps chili powder (or to taste)

DIRECTIONS
Heat oil in skillet.
Season beef heavily with SPG
Cook beef until lightly browned. Push to one side of pan.
Add onion, cook until soft.
Drain excess fat. Mix in remaining ingredients. Mix well, simmer 30 to 45 minutes.

Dang, being a chili head and yes I've won a couple of local chili cook offs. I do a recipe just like yours for Barb and I the exception is I use unsalted beef broth instead of water and Mexican oregano. Also I'll use California chili powder or New Mexico chili powder. And throw in a diced jalapeno or Hatch chili or two.
Make a big batch and freeze the rest for those soon to come snowy nights.
It's not contest chili but it sure is good.

Last edited:
Best chili I've made starts with smoked brisket. Another little secret is a tablespoon or 2 of cocoa.

Probably the single biggest secret is to bloom the spices in the hot pan & oil after you saute the onion & peppers. This is an old Indian curry method, and can be used in a lot of recipes.

Best chili I've made starts with smoked brisket. Another little secret is a tablespoon or 2 of cocoa.

Coming up on the 25th, my office will be having its 5th annual chili cook-off/costume contest/kickball tourney. It's not a strict on the definition of chili kind of contest, so we get beans and no beans, some with noodles, and even the occasional chicken chili. I won most original once, consistently finished second or third overall (and have lost to said chicken "chili"), and finished second in heat every year. Last year I used smoked brisket and while it didn't seem to impress the judges, I at least got the people's choice award. I'm going to add a bit of molasses this year to see what that will do. My first thought was chocolate or cocoa, but I call it G. Washington Wishbone's Wild West Chili, and with a name like that, I figured anything sweet added to it has to be molasses. Wish me luck.

Probably the single biggest secret is to bloom the spices in the hot pan & oil after you saute the onion & peppers. This is an old Indian curry method, and can be used in a lot of recipes.

That's my best chili also I have a boat load of left over brisket from smoke day and I save that for the winter months to make chili.

Coming up on the 25th, my office will be having its 5th annual chili cook-off/costume contest/kickball tourney. It's not a strict on the definition of chili kind of contest, so we get beans and no beans, some with noodles, and even the occasional chicken chili. I won most original once, consistently finished second or third overall (and have lost to said chicken "chili"), and finished second in heat every year. Last year I used smoked brisket and while it didn't seem to impress the judges, I at least got the people's choice award. I'm going to add a bit of molasses this year to see what that will do. My first thought was chocolate or cocoa, but I call it G. Washington Wishbone's Wild West Chili, and with a name like that, I figured anything sweet added to it has to be molasses. Wish me luck.

The cocoa gives it just a hint of a Mexican mole` influence.

Good luck with the contest.

Hi JKalchik, looks like I jumped into the deep end of the chili pool! I have to cook for 2 adults and 4 kids...not fancy, not spicy, but this recipe hit the spot.
Blooming the spices is a great idea. Gonna do that.

Back