Grill Rehab Facility

Ralph Meyer

TVWBB Fan
My current grill repair/work assembly area, between the front of the kayak and the doors to the utility closet-

Hz18xXk.jpg

Although I've been in a grill slump lately with not much around, I've been able to get started on a new 24x30 detached garage which should have plenty of grill space-
eoNsGbC.jpg

Slab should be poured Monday. I'm pretty psyched to get all my vehicles inside and have some real room to do something.

To get some grills ready, I picked up this beater for $40.00. Its barely worth that-
um7dkhQ.jpg

And, burying the lead, also come across this today-
HIfIuF1.png

The guy that I got this one from said he built it from a couple of grills-he said the other one "looked just like it but was brown." The serial number checks as - PLATINUM I 3400 KD LP BLK (CANADA)231909. It's in really nice shape, but he's got a lot of oddball hardware on it I'll want to replace.

He must have transfered a Genesis 5000 over to the 3400 frame.

I am jealous, 7000 sq ft of grill rehabbing space indoors would be pure bliss.

I was thinking that it was going to be a “service center” for grill rehabbing! Either drop off and pick up or a place for “Seminars”! Think about it... it would a cool weekend party thing, bring your grill, spend the weekend, go through the restoration/rehab on Saturday as much possible. Complete the project then feasting!
I like the idea.
I would love to find the 3000/5000 model somewhere close.
When it happens I won’t have any more money than I do now but, I might try to do something....

Or maybe a place for all of us to recover from Weberitis!

I was thinking that it was going to be a “service center” for grill rehabbing! Either drop off and pick up or a place for “Seminars”! Think about it... it would a cool weekend party thing, bring your grill, spend the weekend, go through the restoration/rehab on Saturday as much possible. Complete the project then feasting!

This! Beer and football would take away from much restoring work!

Bruce, you're probably right. Weber doesn't show any manuals on their site for this serial number, but I found some for a 3400 online, and the 3400 is similar to the 5000-enclosed cabinet, glass doors, and the same paint scheme. Not sure what the differences would be for a 95 model, I *think* the 5000 would have the flame check system, separate porcelain serving table and a smoker box. And, I think the platinum would be marked with "Platinum" in the pin-striping.

My thought is the “3400” was the designation for the Canadian version of the 5000. The Weber US catalogs from that time period that I have seen do not show models other than 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 & 5000 (and the 5500 "built-in"). Of course we only have select years to look at.

GRILL REHAB FACILITY
Yes! I want one! I am actually working on getting access to a gutted out cinder block cottage house on our campground community that just sits empty. Our president gave me a fast green light to use it for grill work. There is electric and very old windows so I could do a lot of stuff on some evenings that I currently have to postpone until Saturdays when it is daylight. Maybe my productivity will finally get a boost!

Last edited:
This looks good Ralph. I have a two car garage with no cars but bicycles and a Shopsmith which is my work space. But it is too freaking hot in the summer. It is like sauna in there. Hopefully the cooler weather will be here soon so that I can start working in there in the evenings after work.

That’s awesome that you are building a new detached garage. Can never have too much work space. Looks like you have some good projects to work on!

Since I am finally up and running in my improvised "shop" I thought I would revive this post and share some pictures. This is an unusable tiny 1950s cottage house that our president told me that I could use for the time being as a shop since the house is not livable nor are there any plans (or funding - oh the life of non-profits!) to do anything with it. It is obviously not designed for use as a shop, and Norm Abram's New Yankee Workshop it ain't. But I finally have a dry place to store projects (full) and a space to work on them (too many in it right now, but I am at last working on that!).

I started with an empty shell:

xO96kg4.jpg

1UXIidB.jpg

Soon it was a piled up mess:mad::

QaB8t4E.jpg

After cleaning and bringing over some of my supplies and tools, it at least is a start:

wAQo7Qy.jpg

sdydtQ8.jpg

I had a young helper this morning, and we cleaned up a 2013-2016 Spirit E-310 and I also worked on a beautiful old 18" black kettle plus a Q300. It was a good start:

IdJL9nC.jpg

uMn5U3f.jpg

The coolest thing is that I have a place with lights. Now I don't have to depend on Saturday daytime but can do some work here and there on some evenings. This is my limited best time to get stuff done before next tax season strikes. You can bet I will be giving it my best. Hope to have some FINISHED grills to show soon:rolleyes:!

Last edited:
I am not familiar with Norm Abram's New Yankee Workshop, but tours is awesome.

Bruce,

Here is an episode from The New Yankee Workshop. Back in the 90's I had a routine on late Saturday afternoons watching This Old House, The New Yankee Workshop (both featuring master craftsman Norm Abram) and some other stuff like that on PBS.

If scroll back to the beginning and watch for a few minutes you will see some good glimpses of his awesome workshop set in some idyllic location in New England. You will even hear his speech "Let's talk about shop safety" that my then six year old could do a perfect imitation of working at his Fisher Price toy workshop:).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKvR7SPpjZM&list=PL1JdoAge6r6RBl7ZoJpkw4YoZcFLARHSB&index=0

Last edited:
I haven't been around much, but my shop should be mostly finished in a week or 2. I am looking forward to the room and may have time to fiddle around with some grills soon. Have a 330 I wanted to get to my BIL for Christmas, but it may have to be a February birthday present instead.

SlG2eyL.jpg

bZ7A2oE.jpg

Yah, that will never do. Too much room, too many electrical outlets, too much lighting, too clean of floor, too much shade.
t0sG1c6.jpg

Back